1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laguna Seca Bucket List

Discussion in 'General' started by HughiusMaximus, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Morning All

I'm an Irish guy working on a temporary visa in the US of A at the moment.
    I have been living in Chicago for the last 18 months and look set to move back to Ireland this summer.

I have had a blast riding the tracks around chicago, but would love to ride Laguna Seca before heading home.

Does anyone know of any track day companies who do days at Laguna Seca with the ability to rent a bike?
    As much as I would love to ride my bike on track there it's a long ass drive from Chicago!
    I'm a bit of a lard as s so a 600 or greater is probably the best bet.

Any advice welcome please.

Thanks!

2. tack514

tack514 Well-Known Member

California Superbike School. I had a similar bucket list item and used them to cross it off. I am out east as well. They use BMW 1000RR's so weight would be less of an issue. Fun track. Way shorter and technical then what it looks like on the TV....or at least to me it did. I am not aware of any other that have bikes available. Good luck to you sir and PM if you need any further information I could help with.

Chris, beac83 and HughiusMaximus like this.
  3. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

4. Thanks, that's a great suggestion.

I guess one of the reservations about CSS is that it's a full school setting with no 'free' sessions to have a play on track?

I have no idea what pace level 1 would clip along at so I don't know if it's fun of not.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

:Poke::Poke::Poke::Poke:

HughiusMaximus likes this.
  6. Thanks guys.

I had found that site but thought the 400 might be a bit underpowered.

I guess what it lacks in the straightaway it make up for in the bends!

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Little bikes are a lot of fun at Laguna! Hated wrestling the XR1200 there, loved it on the Aprilia RS250.

8. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

1. 400 will be great on that track, lard or no.

2. consider renting a street bike for your visit. you're gonna want one.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Laguna is Ok but I'd rather ride at Sears Point. :D

motoracer1100 likes this.
  10. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Blasphemy!

motion and code3ryder like this.
  11. Ha, I wish I was there for longer I’d ride both and give you independent feedback but unfortunately it’s going to be a one and done trip!

12. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

I get it. Laguna is on my bucket list too. However if you can’t work out the logistics you may want to consider COTA. It is a current MotoGP circuit. Only a 16 hr drive for you. Also an awesome track and you can do an actual track day like you want to instead of a school.

13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Trackdaz will be at Laguna June 14. Check their website. They are a quality track day org. The trip will be worth it. No way to really appreciate the corkscrew until you drop in.

Edit: Looks like Let's ride track days has a date of June 7 too. Time it right and ride twice. Track schedule at https://www.weathertechraceway.com/calendar

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No sound issue to worry about and I think it's a harder track to learn to ride well

15. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

In 1988 it cost $60 to ride Laguna (Wes Cooley Riders Association). Them was the days :)

16. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

17. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

The small bikes are awesome at Laguna. With how wide it is, you can really feel like a hero with the big bikes. Plus, you don't have to roll off in turn 5 (sound booth).

Definitely a good bucket list item and something you should take advantage of sooner rather than later. I don't know how much longer that place is going to be around with their crazy regulations/neighbors. Sonoma/Sears Point/ Infineon is starting to get the same way.

18. FourThreeSix

Sound is starting to become an issue. We've had people popped at AFM events.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure that's a track issue as much as an exhaust manufacturer issue, some of them have gotten stupid loud again.

20. FourThreeSix

True, but it's a combo of both. The local winery is starting to give them some trouble.