1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jones v Gustafsson 2

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Dec 20, 2018.

1. It goes against a lot of fighting logic throwing haymakers like that but she seems to find the perfect time to start to throw them then doesn’t let up. I think one big thing she had going for her was confidence. She attacked the dude and was relentless, Cyborg didn’t know what to do after she got rocked the first time then the barrage kept coming. She’s not used to taking shots like that.

2. Dana White is a great promoter, this is however entertainment but he’s making a total mockery of mma as a sport. That being said the fighters who are smart know the game and the ones that play it well and can fight make the most money. You have to be more than just a good fighter, that’s a given but White has turned it into the biggest idiot douche fighter gets the check. I’ll still watch it as some of the fighting Has been pretty good but I can’t und deal without all the side show crap. Still remember watching ufc 1 back in college. That was awesome fighting but a bit dull side show. About ufc 75-100 was about right.

3. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

^ Well said! And, I agree.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Glad I watched if only for the Nunes
    Yeah bad game plan by Cyborg.

Cyborg is the better technical striker and grappler. Nunes’ strategy was obviously to bait her into a brawl, and it worked. That girl hits like a truck!

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I have to rewatch the fight but on first take it looked like Jones smashed Gus in the back of the head before the finish.

I'm no fan of Jones but he looked amazing considering the layoff.

Has Jones ever been in a fight where he didn't foul his opponent?

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The fighting is better than ever, but you’re right. When you sacrifice the purity of the game for promotions sake, it’s never good.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Gus turned away from those strikes, so it’s legal. Only deliberate strikes to the back of the head are a foul.

I did laugh when Gus poked him in the eye though...

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

it really doesn't when you have no-ounce gloves on. there's no point in trading jabs when you could be knocked out at any time with a single kick or punch or be taken to the ground. there's not enough rounds and there's way too much exposure to try and ever have a "points win." bar fight boxathon.

9. Yes and no. She seemed to lead with a couple haymakers IIRC? She literally twisted her body back to wind up, you have to time those pretty damn good or you are leaving yourself open to some serious damage before or after your missed punch. She would’ve been stupid to go jab for jab with her, 100% agree with that. My point was haymakers are just as dangerous to either fighter.

10. I did too. After the shot to the junk, then they eye poke I was waiting for some 3 stooges action.

11. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

10 years ago, even my wife knew all the fighters names, all weight classes. Now, I dont even know all the fighters anymore. Of course the big names, but it just isnt the same anymore. I think the UFC is on the decline, and this weeks debacle didnt help its cause at all. I didnt buy the fight because of it.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I haven't bought a fight in years. 10 years ago was great. The fighters are better fighters today, but the Randy Couture/Chuck Liddel area was far more entertaining.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  13. SpeedyTide

You sir.... are welcome on my lawn anytime!!

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I hear ya and kinda agree but when you think about it he's essentially stealing a page out of Ali's handbook.....IMHO. Some have said Ali made a mockery of his sport too.

Have any of you followed the Asian version of the UFC, I think it'd called OnePride. If you haven't you will shortly cuz I believe they just signed a deal with one of the cable networks. The big difference is their take on promoting their fighters....they don't use the WWE flair like the UFC seems to have adopted....lol....when Brock and Conor came along.

15. I’m totally with you and reality is that it’s better for the fighters just like it was for Ali. End of the day the entertainment side of sports are part of what out asses in the seats. My wife had no idea who Connor McGregor was before the Khabib fight but knew about him in the few weeks leading up to the fight. More asses in the seats the more fighters get paid. Just likes there’s a big PR side to racing, entertainment.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

ONE Championship. Big financial backing from Singapore and more fighter-focused. I’m a fan.

17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

18. SpeedyTide

I'm surprised it's taken this long for ESPN to finally get on board.

19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Fox has had the rights for many years.

20. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I’ve thought for a while that the UFC was diluting itself to death. They have a big fight every other week it seems. This was UFC 232. I saw Arlovski fight at Mohegan in 2005 in UFC 55.......which was in 2005. In thirteen years they’ve had 177 additional big UFC matches? That’s a fight every month.......who can keep up with that? Add in all of the other fighting series and there’s a fight on every thirty seconds.

And with nonsense like the Rousey debacle, McGregor as the UFC slowly morphs into WWE?

I was in the martial arts world back in the day, and I was a fan right from UFC 1. Now? Meh.

IMHO