1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a gun to the manufacturer for repair

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Dec 28, 2018.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I want to return a Taurus revolver for repair. From the great state of Maryland. I’m reading Taurus’ shipping policies. Is there anything that I should be aware of legally?

I guess I’ve been “conditioned” before reading Taurus’ policies that I must use a licensed transfer dealer for the process. Apparently that’s not the case.

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Shouldn’t need to use an FFL for a repair

3. speedluvn

The above boldface is my concern. Not trying to commit a federal offense with a simply revolver repair.

4. lizard84

I shipped a Kimber directly to them and right back to my house per their instructions, no FFL needed.

speedluvn likes this.
  5. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

You can ship directly to them. The limiting factor will be the shipping policies of your package carrier.

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

When I got the trigger re-done on my Sig320, they issued a Fed-Ex call tag.
    I ended up going to one of the FedEx/Kinko's centers to pick up the box, print the call tag, and dropping it off there.

They shipped it back, post-repair, to my house. I had to sign for it, but no big deal.

You should call Taurus and see if they issue call tags.

7. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Colt issued me a call tag as well. Worked just like Jedb said.

8. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Sent my old XDs back for recall too. No FFL needed. FFL should only be used when transferring ownership.

9. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Each shipper has their own gun shipping policies. I see the policies broken all of the time. With my local post office, they ask that I provide them a copy of the recipients FFL, my FFL, as well as an affidavit stating the firearm is not loaded and there is no ammunition in the package. I play along with their rules and haven't had any problems. You are technically supposed to inform them there is a firearm, but it should not be labeled or obvious anywhere on the package anywhere. If sending back to the manufacturer, you don't need to go through an FFL and they are able to send it back to the person who sent it to them.

I would imagine trying to do this in a more urban post office that they would give you more trouble.

10. speedluvn

Actual experience was what I was seeking. The “should” language in your earlier post was the part that I was stuck on when creating this thread.

11. speedluvn

Thanks! I’ve never had to have a weapon repaired and I really didn’t want to take/trust it to a gunsmith. I wanted the manufacturer to repair the weapon. It’s a 4 inch .357 with a potted barrel that belongs to my uncle. It’s in my possession for safe keeping.

12. lizard84

Kimber is in New York state, if I can get away with that you’ll be fine , Taurus should send you a return label, make sure you write “for repair “ on the box and inside with the paper work

13. lizard84

I even dropped it off at a UPS store, if they inquire about the contents tell them it’s gravel from the bottom of a lake.

14. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

No need to ship through a FFL. Just send it as long as they know its coming. When I shipped my KSG back for repair I sent it Fed Ex 2 day from PA to FL with a brief description of the failure in the box. No issues at all.

15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Yeah that is one of the technicalities I was talking about. Not really supposed to drop them at the UPS or Fedex retail stores.

16. speedluvn

I’m addition, Tarus has on their website that Fedex does not accept firearms for ground delivery.
    I’m gonna call Tarus in the next couple of days for clarification, especially for the call tag that’s been mentioned in this post a couple of times.

17. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Yep, that is another. The weird thing is, I receive firearms from distributors via FedEx Ground all of the time. I think the reason for that is FedEx Ground are usually subcontractors and not FedEx employees, but I could be wrong on that.

speedluvn likes this.
  18. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

How do you fuck up a revolver?

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Do not send a gun back with a shell stuck in it. It creates a huge issue. Ask me how I know. (yes just a casing counts)

20. speedluvn

The pistol belongs to my uncle. I was with him when he brought about 20 years ago. He’s now experiencing some health issues. He asked if I could pick up the rounds from his house and I inquired about the revolver. I retrieved the weapon as well.
    When I went to clean it/look it over, the cylinder didn’t line up with the barrel. I attempted to DIY it but decided that hey!, this ain’t something I wanna attempt on my own.