1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I want to buy physical gold.

Discussion in 'General' started by Beer Slut, Nov 30, 2012.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

heard that bitcoin stuff is the way to go, in a time machine

2. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

You guys make dis way too hard. Gold plated gatling gun. You're welcome.

f9e3fb3bd33eca6c36230901295cde36.jpg

motoracer1100 and BigBird like this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If you're gonna buy physical PMs right now, silver's a better bet. The ratio between the price of gold and the price of silver is all caterwampus (that's a technical term) right now.

Silver is a better value compared to history than gold is right now.

I've actually had decent luck advertising on craigslist that I will buy 90% junk silver and/or common bullion bars at spot whenever I'm flush & want to buy a little more.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yesterday.
    When tomorrow comes, it will be the same answer. :D

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

What about numismatics? The reason I’m asking is because I bought some today, on a whim.

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What he said ^

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I think food and ammo is where it is at.

Population keeps growing and growing. You don't need much of a drought or more forest fires to figure out that a food shortage is not far away.

Honestly I'm more scared of the oil supply running out than anything.

Hell, you could sell bottled water in Flint just a year ago.

Investing in canned foods you can sell your neighbors 10-20 years from now or trade them for guns and ammo when the SHTF is the direction I would go.

Ammo ALWAYS goes up in price over time. Same for firearms. Rare stuff like silencers and bumpstocks and night sights or body armor will fetch a mint in the next decade or two.

The only metals I would invest in are the ones that are so rare you can hardly afford them.

Or if you have a big chunk of land or a pole barn I would get a few thousand gallons of diesel or kerosene, put stabilizers in it and store it.......but never forget FOOD.

People will do anything for FOOD.

The other option I would look at is LAND. You can always sell off land. If global warming keeps going the direction it is looking like it is buying land at higher elevations might be very beneficial......bottom part of that is you have to pay taxes on it each year.

If I was going to do that I would buy land in Costa Rica or somewhere outside the US and its regulations and bullshit.

Now with all that being said.....I bought the shit out of index funds in the last 2 months.......way less maintenance and I get monster tax returns come April.

Cashing them out is just a waiting game.

If you want simplicity and safety.....go with bonds.

8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Just have brass and plenty of it.

10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

You people watch too many post apocalypse movies. You can't eat guns and ammo any more than you can eat gold. All the food you talk about taking won't exist. The only thing that gun will be good for is as a ticket out when you can't take it any more.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Or to take the food off of someone else

12. sdg

sdg *

Come post apocalypse; potable water will be the main problem.

auminer likes this.
  13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

This thread went in an unanticipated direction
    Why do people equate buying metals with SHTF scenarios?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because they're not a good investment otherwise compared to other options out there?

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

They are a store of value not an investment. I don't see anything wrong with having them to diversify a portfolio.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wanting to store money and not use it to make more money is exactly why the conversation goes to SHTF. There's no real reason to have money sitting around doing nothing. Buying precious metal and putting it in a safe isn't much different than cash in coffee cans in the back yard.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't really get the SHTF argument for gold or other precious metals either. If there's just a little poo, I guess it's reasonable to assume that there will still be monetary value in gold, but if it's REALLY bad, then the only things of value will be food, water, medicine, and of course weapons and ammo. From a purely functional standpoint, I'd focus more on weapons, ammo, and training because without that, no matter what you have saved, somebody with those things will just take it from you.

wsmc42 likes this.
  18. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

What was the name of that old movie with Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent ?

19. 418

418 Expert #59

Gold is for people that invest to stay rich, not for people that invest because they want to get rich.

YMMV and all that.

auminer likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

^^^ THIS ^^^ but silver at the moment.

418 likes this.