1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck pilot jet help / pilot jet screwdriver reccomendation

Discussion in 'Tech' started by AMac, Dec 27, 2018.

1. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

I'm (foolishly) trying to resurrect a '92 Suzuki Bandit 400.

Step 1 is to get the carbs cleaned and rebuilt. I have all the jets out except for the pilots, 1 of which looks to be half way on its way to being stripped out.

Does anyone know where to find a 'proper' screwdiver for tiny little pilot jets?

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to remove a stripped pilot jet (trying to plan ahead for the inevitable).

2. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I have had good luck using left hand drill bit. The jets have a hole in the middle. The left hand bit has a tendency to stick and unscrew the jet. If you size the bit right if the jet does not come out you just clean the threads..

3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

ive had good luck with a spray of wd40 and a custom grind(the sides only) on a fatter flat head.

4. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I've never had good luck, so I usually just buy another set of carbs after I mangle the first ones...:mad:

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep.
    Try some PBS blaster wd 40 etc.

Then grind down the sides of a standard-ish flat head so it will fit into small hole where pilot is. The problem with the small flat heads that will hit is their heads are too small and will mangle a stuck jet.

If screwdriver won't work get extractors and drill going.

Good luck

turner38 likes this.
  6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yep, grind a screwdriver and make it straight on the sides and round. Helps to give it a solid smack with a small hammer also to jar it looses and set the tip...
    If that doesnt bring it out leavinit in and run a wire through it with it in place. I use one from the wire wheel on the bench grinder.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yamaha carb cleaner soak. Then fabricate a screwdriver from a larger one that fits the brass slot. Grind a flat on the end and use a wrench for torque. Or give up and LH drill it out.

8. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Thanks all! Will post back when (if) I get it out. I don’t care about saving the jet but the carbs are very hard to come
    By so I want to do it right. I hit it with PB blaster while think about the next move. Guess I need to get a grinder and work on an old screwdriver

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I raced a 400 bandit for several years and did alot of tweaking. Be glad to share knowledge, advice if you need it.

10. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Thanks Bandiracer! This is going to be a street bike project. I'm taking it down to the frame and rebuilding it (with the exception of the motor, I'm checking valves and leaving the rest alone).

1) So question #1, Jet kits: I'm looking at Factory Pro vs. Dynojet. Leaning towards FP. Any recommendations? Any general tuning advice?
    2) Suspension: The bike came springs/emulators and a ?1990? Ohlins Shock off A GSXR I think. I will have it serviced but have no idea what proper spring rate would be to start with.

I guess that's all for now! Thanks again

Aaron

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Stock airbox is really restrictive, toss it, I've got Uni pods on mine. I used a Dynojet kit in mine, many years ago when it was still a street bike. Mine likes the needles all the way up, I fucked around a few times dropping them down with different jetting and always ended up pulling them all the way up or else I had a lean hesitation. Stock header is actually pretty good, I just have a Supertrapp slip on with no plates in it, straight thru.