1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use a Tile location device

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Dec 27, 2018.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

If you use them, please tell us how. Do you use them in some unique way?

One of my Tuesday Brew comrades mentioned how handy they are. I wanted a set (four/$100) for myself and to give as a Christmas gift to a very good girlfriend. Easy to set up on my iPhone or iPad. There’s a one time fee, which is the purchase price, although there is a $30/year subscription service with more features if desired. I put them on my car key fobs, iPad (attached with 3M weather stripping, might get moved to another item), and MTB, hidden under the seat. It works on Bluetooth and has a 400’ range (I didn’t know Bluetooth had that much range). The system app can tell you the last reported location and of course if you click a given tile on the app that tile will make a distinctive and obnoxious loud sound. The more Tile users in your community the better, because the system some how uses other users apps to track any tile that comes close to it. That feature seems a little wishful, but if it works fine. A Tile can also cause your phone or iPad to make a loud response. They work for me. As I get older I tend to lose things very easily, and my tiles have already been helpful.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  2. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I’m trying to understand what tile locators are?? I’m thinking it’s something you stick to something you don’t want to lose?? If so what do they look like?? How small are they and how many tiles do you get??

3. duggram

Here’s a link to their website. It's all explained there, with pictures. I got the pro version at 4/$100. I don't know much about the other versions except that some you can't change the battery on.

4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I’ve been using tiles for about 6 months now. I love them. I have them on my keys, wallet and my gear bag for work (I’ll nvr lose that but I’ll explain why). They are great if you are like me and put stuff where you shouldn’t like keys on a table then a towel gets thrown over them etc. I also have mine set up so if I leave without them my phone notifies me. So say if I leave my gear bag at home my phone will notify me as soon As I leave range.
    I also have the upgraded yearly service so in the event I do actually lose something I can look at the map and see where I last was around the item.
    Added benefit is if someone finds your tile they can scan it to see who it belongs to and tile will notify you.

Ride safe,
    AAron

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  5. duggram

Nice post. Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like that annual subscription is worth while.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You might want to attach one to your mind as you have obviously lost it. :D

K51000 likes this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My wife glued one to my wedding ring. It’s awkward.

Banditracer and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I opened this thinking it was going to be about a cool new tool for laying tiles. But now I want one of these locator device thingies!

Phl218, BigBird and duggram like this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So this is for old people that can't remember shit... :D

duggram likes this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I had one but determined it’s had one but got pissed when I found out onc the battery dies you have to throw it out and buy another.

So, I use TrackR now. Similar product with user replaceable batteries.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I bought some but forgot where I put them....

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Have they always had that subscription BS?

I bought a 6 or 10 pack a few yrs ago, they worked for crap, it literally had a 20' range if that. So I did some research online and I was far from being alone so I decided to return them. They took forever to reimburse my credit card but they finally did after a call to them and they were supposed to send me a shipping label to return the pack, they never did so I have them in a box somewhere, brand new with probably dead batteries inside them. But now that I'm hearing about an annual subscription I def wouldn't use them even if they've improved their range.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Not sure if they always had it but so far they have worked great for me.
    I had one go bad and customer service walked me through troubleshooting via text message, had me send a pic of proof of purchase and sent me out a new one free, of course. Took less than 5 minutes and zero calls all text messages.
    So for me I have no complaints to date.
    Also the yearly subscription covers any dead batteries with free replacement and some of the tiles now have replacement batteries available.

Ride safe,
    AAron

14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Had em, worked for shit, returned them.

I wanted them in my keys so I can beep them in the house and know where I put them.

The pOS wouldn’t work inside of my house...constantly wouldn’t Bluetooth connect.

So...I’m spending 5 minutes trying to get the shot to connect and even if it did connect it wouldn’t always want to beep.

Useless. Outside of your house it uses other people who have the tile app installed to locate your tile. So if you live where there isn’t a lot of tile users you’re SOL.

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I had them a couple of years ago and they were junk. Pretty much what Rebel635 said. The annual fee was BS too.

16. Venom51

Isn't it just easier to not lose shit.

Phl218, scottn and Steeltoe like this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I worry that things like this will turn your brain to Jell-O.

Phl218 and scottn like this.
  18. Venom51

Keys and wallet go in the same place every time when they aren't in my hand or in my pocket. It's just not that hard to keep track of shit.

beac83 and scottn like this.
  19. duggram

The new Tiles have user replaceable batteries.

20. duggram

Wait until you get 65+. You're in for a big surprise!