1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Hell if I know. Ask the guy that posted the price.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There are a number of routes for power. I'm sure they all have their pros and cons.

Biggest con I've heard for the Hemis is fire. Biggest pro is factory warranty, at least in an AEV.

LS pros? Duh, they're everywhere...parts, tuning, packaging, etc. and they don't weigh shit. What's not to like?
    LS cons? No warranty? Pfft.

Supercharging the stock motor?
    Two options, basically. Centrifugal or rotor. One gives you high rpm power the other gives it to you at low rpm.

Which brings up the next question, the pros and cons of re-powering vs SC-ing...
    Re-powering?
    - Cons: Packaging. Is it gonna fit and how? Price, if it's a new/crate engine.
    - Pros: Whatever you want. Price, if it's a junkyard donor. You can build the motor to develop the power where you want it...torquer or screamer?

Supercharging?
    - Cons: Short of just wanting a V8, I really can't think of any. Price? Yeah, you're lookin' at $5K-$7K. HP/torque is limited, but enough is available that you can still easily break shit.
    - Pros: Bolt-in. Price, compared to V8 conversion packages with new engines. Choice of power delivery, torque or scream.

Keep in mind that either route will require tuning and, the bigger you go, the more money you have to throw at the rest of the driveline...or else.

The $80K+ price is for an AEV, not a Jeep.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  3. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

The low end torque is easily fixed with the transfer case/gears.

I didn’t want 500hp in my Jeep for the rocks. I wanted it for getting to the trail.

I turbo’ed my I6 before I dropped a LS3 in it. The turbo still didn’t get me up the highways in Colorado loaded with gear (it struggled at the speed limit). Also, yes, then there was the tuning with the turbo that I could never get right.

The LS is slightly heavier than the cast iron bullet proof 4.0 it replaced. I spoke with guys who did the hemi swap. Apparently it’s much heavier, more expensive, and I knew I could walk into any auto parts store and basically replace anything with the LS. That maybe true with the Hemi as well.

For what’s its worth, I’m not brand loyal. However between my truck and (now gone Viper) and AMG (Chrysler back then I think) I’m a closet Mopar guy. Still the availability and weight of the LS3 lead me down that route.

Now when adding super chargers and turbos, there is the heat factor. My bro had a supercharged JK from Ripp. It made good power but you could cook dinner off his hood after a morning of wheeling in Moab in the fall.

Once again, rock crawling, never needed the power. I just wanted to haul ass up the mountains and have the cruise set at 85 and not worry about passing anything.... except a gas station lol.

crashman likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was just reading a Car and Driver article on the new Rubicon, then I saw this. $58k for four cylinder Jeep. :eek:

2019 Rubicon Price.jpg

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

A couple less HP than the 6-cyl standard and more torque.
    The turbo 4 is 270HP@5250rpm and 295lb-ft@3000rom
    The standard Pentastar 6 is 285hp@6400rpm and 260lb-ft@4800rpm

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Turbo I4 w/ electric motor. So same concept as the a Prius, just with a turbo for a bit more power...

That seems overly complicated, heavy and very unJeepy to me.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It’s also nearly $60k for a stupid wrangler

crashman likes this.
  8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Ummmm...not even close to the same concept as a Prius.

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Jeep prices are crazy insane right now. Glad we own a really nice rare one worth last time I looked about what she paid for it new almost 3 years ago.

10. Resale on jeeps is getting better because the new ones are getting outrageous cost wise. I still won’t sell mine, even though I probably should as it makes financial sense to. It almost. 5 years old and just hit 40k. Just don’t know what I’d get for fun. SXS are too damn expensive for what you get and where I’d use them. Unless I can I’ll make it street legal that would also be a limiting factor as my Jeep I can duck off the road onto a trail, go wheeling for and hour then back on the road. Installing my King shocks and hydraulic bump stops over the next few days when I have the time. Needs to be better equipped for sweet jumps :). After blowing out a couple shocks it was time for some that can handle the sudden compression. We have some trails that can get pretty high speed and you get some good air under all. 4 tires. Boat load of fun but some other things to beef up vs the way it was built just for wheeling. Mines a 14 with just a drop in KN and a programmer, it has enough power, or better put power has never been a limiting factor.

Pixelator likes this.
  11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I haven’t had a Jeep for 15 years and I’m really getting the itch. I’d be looking for something cheap and grimy to just fun around in. The YJ prices have really come down recently. Yeah, I know leaf springs suck. But for general shenanigans and light off reading I’m seeing shit I could definitely live with for 5k.

12. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

In '89, I had an '85 CJ 7. Would drive around I the snow with the top off for fun :) A few years back I bought an '83 CJ 7 that sits on 31s. That was pretty much the nail in the coffin for my motorcycle racing career, but the Jeeping is fun!! Wife has a '12 JK 2-dr on 35s. Pretty much what everyone else has said about Jeep handing, driving, gas mileage, etc., but I am not the cookie cutter kinda guy ( I did race a Buell)!! As there was snow in the forecast, we took the 83 to Cataloochee Ski area the other day. 2.5 hr trip one way on the highway at 55 MPHish. I-40 between TN and NC definitely demanded full attention!! Or we could have taken the 2WD F-250.... :D

13. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Teaching my daughter how to drive off road, navigate obstacles, follow trails etc.

A little north of Sedona this morning.

Attached Files:

Pixelator, wsmc 589 and r1owner like this.
  14. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

Nice looking Jeep! Are those 35s?

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

LOL. All the Jeep talk and I just drove my youngest daughter to Dallas yesterday to look at a Jeep. She is now going over her finances to see if she can afford it. If she buys it her Jeep will be worth 4x what mine is...:crackup:

Pixelator likes this.
  16. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

For now I just did the Mopar 2 inch lift with Fox shocks package, 35 inch tires. Once the warranty is over I'll start throwing more stuff at it.

We've done 4 days straight of off roading. And I'm driving to Cabo San Lucas on the 26th for more.

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I actually have a YJ as my daily driver. It is a bit crude and does ride rough but there is something very reassuring about knowing that:

1) you can go anywhere any sane person would want to go.
    2) you can buy every piece of the Jeep aftermarket and they are really easy to fix
    3) Parts are reasonably inexpensive
    4) You can pimp them out and make them look really good

And the big one. If things go horribly wrong they are inexpensive enough that you can just throw the whole vehicle in the trash can and buy a new one with the money you saved by just having liability insurance and not paying interest on a car loan.:D

Wingnut likes this.
  18. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

I cant imagine not having a Jeep living by the Ocean. With the unpredictable weather, winds and Hurricanes we have driven over and through a lot of stuff over the years. Quite a few local trails around here also.

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah man, exactly.

Especially if you have some fab skills (I like to think I do but meh) any issues are a pretty easy fix.

Fuck. I need another Jeep.

I can’t remember... do I need to beware of the 360 AMC V8?

crashman likes this.
  20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Looked at a wrangler 2 weeks ago. Fell down laughing when I seen the sticker saying $52,000.

ryoung57 and trussdude like this.