1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Foldable 4' x 8' trailer- trailering 2 bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Scook2397, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Scook2397

Scook2397 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I've had my HF trailer for about 9 years now with no major issues. I can NOT have a larger trailer due to parking/driveway/ garage size restrictions.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on another track day bike. I have a GSX-R 750 now and plan on buying a Ninja 400 '18 within the week. I use the YOYODYNE frame sliders with replaceable tie-downs that make it super EZ to strap the GSX-R down.

My question is for those of you that have the HF trailer and trailering two bikes. How are you strapping or keeping both bikes on the trailer. I'm guessing the Pit Bull TRS is the best option with the limited real estate on the 4' x 8' trailer deck. Anybody using the Moto D bike restraint system.

Just looking for advice and pics if you got any.

I realize I may need to buy the HF trailer that can handle higher GVW.

Thanks in advance & HAPPY Holidays!

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I added a piece of 1.5x1.5" angle iron to the front that stuck out about 12" on each side so I had something to put straps on. This was long before the TRS existed. I only towed with two bike a handful of times though. The trailer didn't handle the weight well in turns at all and leaned quite a bit.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

My open trailer is 54” x 8’ of bike space. It’s super tight even using 2 TRS. Your going to need to stagger the bikes or turn one around to keep from banging bars.

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I used a HF 4x8 with two bikes for a few years without any issues. I had originally planned on putting some vertical 2x4s at the corners for strap points, but that was not really effective or necessary.

For a year or so, I just had some heavy duty tie down rings around the edges and strapped both bikes down. This worked but took quite a while to load/unload. Pretty tight fit with two bikes and you'll likely need to stagger them so the bars aren't hitting.

I *highly* recommend biting the bullet and getting two TRS systems. It'll make your life so much easier and save you a bunch of time when you're tired and packing up at the end of the day.

You shouldn't need to upgrade your trailer to make it work, and I never felt mine was unsafe or anything.

BigBird likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think with the difference in bike sizes and 2x TRS, it's going to be close, but should be fine.
    Worst case scenario, throw a tie down on the handle bars to give the front just a little more stability.

6. baconologist

My experience is with a 99 R6 on one side and a 14 N300 on the other. Either bike with the 701SM or ST3 isn’t an issue. Put 2 bikes side by side with low clipons and they’ll bang at that width.

A TRS mount plate is 24” wide. So 2 side by side is 48” and they are 24” center to center. All the bikes I’ve measured are 30” wide at the bars or 15” center to tip. The real estate just isn’t there on a 48” trailer without offseting.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

don't know, but I've seen a few HF trailers at the track with 2 bikes, and above my response is first hand knowledge of it working. so again, it does work.

8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

image000000_02.jpg I use HF wheel chocks and straps. No need to stagger. They fit fine. Close, but it works. Put eye bolts around the perimeter frame and two in the center to use as common tie points for both bikes inside straps. With two sport bikes, they fit nice.
    I have since added a single chock in the middle for times I only haul one bike to keep the load centered. I use a center tie down ring that lays flat when not in use so it's not in the way when I haul one bike.
    Never had any issue with this setup at all.

Steeltoe and BigBird like this.
  9. baconologist

With chocks it’ll be easier to get them side by side.

10. Spang308

Additionally, I use double loop straps that wrap around the lower triple clamps up front and secure the rear with straps from the rear subframe.

11. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Hauled two full size bikes with and without the TRS multiple times. Used the Condor wheel chock and a cheaper HF chock before I got the TRS system. If they bikes were staggered with the chocks it was very minimal since we strapped them down pretty good. I didn't put any more tie down points and just used whatever holes in the frame were available. The hardest part is tying the back ends down (with no passenger pegs) but it would be ideal to put one tie down in the middle between the rear tires. 4 ratchet straps per bike eats up a lot of space but they very secure.

Two TRS's however (cost more that the trailer even with all the plywood, spare tire, etc) made the process very simple and slightly more secure. I never used the Moto D but I had friends use the older style and it seemed more of a pain to get the bikes lined up and bolted in. Both the TRS and the Moto D are finicky though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

One thing in my Life I wont be missing.....

Tie Downs and Multiple Bikes..... Thank You PITBULL.....

mpusch and BigBird like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY...No one ever feels bad about having multiple bikes :)

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Here’s a shot with my pit bike, but can easily fit two full size bikes. Can’t recommend the TRS enough.

upload_2018-12-24_15-29-7.jpeg

upload_2018-12-24_15-29-47.jpeg

BigBird likes this.
  15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I've had two bikes on my harbor freight trailer tons of times. I have a TRS for mine, and a harbor freight chock for the other bike. One strap loose off to the side to keep my handlebars from bouncing and hitting the other bike, two on the front of the other bike, and one around the rear wheel of the other bike straight back to keep the rear end from bouncing around and into my bike. Have 1000's of miles like this and after some trial and error this ended up being the best set up. (loose strap around my front wheel isn't in this picture because it's before I figured that out.) 13239939_10154326673519236_5484097676195908010_n.jpg

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Is there any big difference between the 1170 and 1700 pound difference in the HF trailers outside of the numbers? They both seem to have 12" tires

Sent from my smatrfone

17. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I dont remember for sure, but I think the lower weight was the folding one. The heavier one didnt fold. But I could be wrong.

BigBird likes this.
  18. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I have a folding version of the 1700 lb one... I honestly don't remember what the differences were when I bought it but figured more capacity was better... lol

BigBird likes this.
  19. Spang308

Mine is the folding version also. If I remember correctly it's the 1200lb version. It does fine with 2 sport bikes on it and honestly has held up well over the years.

20. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I think the difference is in the rating on the axle, at least it was the last time I looked into it.