1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay seller fees

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I buy stuff there often, but haven't sold anything for a long time. Went to list something today and was floored by the fees- 10% final value and shipping! Didn't see details about Paypal fees, I assume they still want their cut on top of that. Scratching my head over the "Musical Instruments & Gear > Guitars & Basses" category having a 3.5% fee but most everything else is 10%

Killswitch likes this.
  2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

They got what they wanted, to drive the small people out and make it 'amazon like' full of 'stores' selling Chinese goods.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

How much lower are the fees for sellers with "eBay stores" ?
    I also find it funny that a large percentage of the stuff I buy there comes delivered from Amazon.

4. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I bought a concrete walking trowel off ebay a few months ago. It was listed and pictured as trowel with a pitching head attachment. Well it comes in the mail and its just the trowel. I contact the guy and tell him his ad is messed up and when is the head attachment coming. He tell me its not so I leave negative feedback and the guy flips his lid and goes crazy with 20 messages. I tell him refund me half what the total was cause only half came. He was so happy to just refund me my money and pay shipping back just to get the negative feedback off his store :)

5. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Ebay sucks for sellers. 10% is a big hit for a small seller on top of the PayPal fee. And if you dont have free shipping no one wants to bid on your item . Then of course if you do charge shipping ebay whacks you another 10% for that. And for me that one is the killer. Shipping costs are though the roof. And to take a double hit on shipping... it sucks...It used to be a great place to sell. Now not so much.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So, if you sell on Ebay, don't include free shipping and you use payscam they are going to wack you 25% ~ 30%?

Why bother then?

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I sold off 10, TL-R LE Links on ebay...it gave me a worldwide marketplace...3 went to Australia, Click a few clickers and the Ad was done...click a few more and the shipping lable was printed...Easy Enough.

Not real sure how I could have reached anyone of the buyers with an Ad in the local Classifieds, FB Marketplace...or even Craigslist...so for whatever % they took, I was ok with it...with investment comes risk and reward.

dtalbott, Muz720 and BigBird like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

it's the cost of doing business. either you use them or use something else.

How about take an ad out in the local printed newspaper?

9. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Exactly why I use them. And they do make it easy to sell overseas. But you just dont make the profit you once did. It is just the cost of business with them. I just dont get why they wack you a fee for shipping?

10. pittmeister

pittmeister Well-Known Member

Because sellers used to price their items at $1 and have an exorbitant cost for "shipping" to get around the seller fees.

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You either have to be willing to sell for less than other people are listing the same item for, or selling something no one else has.

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Sorry but 10% is fair. Plus PayPal or a merchant processor gonna take 2-3% so your effective rate is like 13.2%. Amazon charges 15% minimum.

They definitely did get their Chinese knockoff platform they wanted. It’s so stupid. They wanted to ape Amazon, but they never will be. They should’ve been the best eBay they could. They could make plenty of money on the small guys if they actually wanted to. Look at how many people still sell shit on Craigslist, and that’s an ultra inefficient market.

In my business we still do plenty of business there, it’s still a good platform. I still buy and sell bicycle stuff there too.

BigBird likes this.