1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best earbuds/headphones under helmet

Discussion in 'General' started by GarrettRick, Dec 19, 2018.

1. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

What’s the go to for headphones under my full face helmet ? I’m not going to wear them for more than an hour or so but the ole grom ride can get monotonous
    Need some biggie ridin with me !

2. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Likely two reasons you don't have any responses....
    1) Use the search function, its been discussed a few times before
    2) a lot of folks, even those who agree with you that music on a ride would be great, believe riding with headphones on dramatically increases your risk by taking away that input from that sense. Especially in high traffic rides.

2 cents

StaccatoFan likes this.
  3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The best ones are cheap. Really really cheap...

4. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

:stupid::stupid::stupid:

Word. We are already at enough of a disadvantage.

5. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Ear plugs and a Bluetooth system in the helmet. There are several different versions. No sense ever going back to ear buds and dealing with the pain of them falling out while you're riding.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Most important thing you can do is to replace the tips with these though:
    https://www.complyfoam.com/

They are a game changer for removing wind noise.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I used buds for years but they always hurt after a while. I switched to a Sena SMH5FM. I don't use the intercom at all, but the system itself is great for music and you have the added feature of FM radio. Plus I can still hear everything going on around me. These are listing for over $150, but I found mine for around $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5-FM-01-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Intercom/dp/B00B1W32ZG

Revzilla has it for $120

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I use a Sena when I'm on longer trips, but it's crazy how distracting it is. We're all competent motorcyclists, so it's easy to say that we can handle it, but you definitely need to exhibit some discipline. I turn it off any time there's any traffic at all and never at night.

I sound like a damn safety Nazi. Time to quit wheelies and buy hi viz gear...

9. rd400racer

Hey...I've got hi viz gear!:D

JBraun likes this.
  10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

But do you have a "Start seeing motorcycles" sticker on your Volvo and a "do not remove helmet" sticker on your lid?

11. rd400racer

Not yet, but now I know what to ask for Christmas!

I wouldn't say I'm dayglo...just looking to be seen a little better. If that little bit of yellow lets somebody see me, I'm OK with looking like a dork.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]anonymous pictures website

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

At least you’re a dork with some dope gear...

rd400racer likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The track ain't good enough for y'all no more you gotta go play in traffic, too? :rolleyes:
    If that ain't a revolver with a bullet in it...

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Oh crap. I have a hi viz jacket AND a Volvo.

rd400racer likes this.
  15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

To actually reply to the OP for a change, the Klipsch Image S4 I have are very good and have proved bullet proof. I only use them for long rides on the highway with little traffic, for the reasons mentioned above.

16. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I had a pair of the Klipsch Image s4s, but something was amiss with mine, always shocked me about 30 min after putting them in. Getting shocked in the inner ear no no fun so I ditched em.

17. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I have had the Plug Up molded plugs with speakers, and now have the Klipsch. https://www.plugup.com/custom_made_earplug_speakers_stereo_earbudss_s/73.htm

For $250, plus the cost of the mold at the audiologist, they are "worth it" from a noise-reduction and performance level. Mine got stolen out of my truck, and I bought a pair of Klipsch from Amazon. The Klipsch sound really good, but after a couple hours they start to hurt. Also a bit difficult to take helmet on and off with them in, and if you pull the earbud out while putting your helmet on, it's a PITA.

On that note, for riding and any other noisy environment, a set of custom plugs is awesome. I have a set of silicone plugs which I wear all the time. They have better noise reduction than any foam or plunger plug and are all-day comfortable.

If you have the $, get the customs. If you are frugal, get the Klipsch.

18. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I still run the etymotic er-6i. I have one new in the package, a back up pair and another pair that I run via my Cardo Scala QZ. They are the smallest, best sounding ear buds I've found. Their wires are a bit fragile, so eventually fail. I use mine on my commute and just about every street ride for the last 10 years now.

These guys are supposed to be pretty good: http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

http://earfuze.com/

These are what I use in the racecar and work really, really well inside a helmet. Super cheap also for the quality. Its a kit where you mold them to your ear and they fit perfectly.

KrooklynSV likes this.
  20. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

Bose qc20. Nearly as good as ear plugs as far as noise reduction. Never ride without them. They are also awesome around the house, lawn mowers etc.