1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer size?

Discussion in 'General' started by pero796, Dec 18, 2018.

1. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

John all rules below cdl are managed at the state level so I would highly recommend you do the research in your state of residence. But now my annual registration is around $650 now (up from 250ish) and I have a class A non-commercial license which gets me in a combo vehicle good up to 80k so long as it’s private and not for hire and no air brakes, I don’t have the air brake component on my license.

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I used a 6 x 12 v-nose for 2 race bikes, pit scooter, and all the amount of tools/warmers/gear/cooler/generator/etc that I ever needed. Still had plenty of room to spare. Never felt like I didn't have additional room needed. Got the Tandem axle on it to get brakes, which helped a lot towing with the tiny V6 truck I had at the time when I got it. My advice on that is if you're towing near the limit for the vehicle, like a small truck/suv towing a 6x12, then brakes would be mandatory. Towing with a big truck and a small trailer, you could get away without having brakes, but it would be nice if you can afford them. Sure comes in handy when some idiot jumps in front of you on the interstate and slams on the brakes (see Atlanta). The 6 x 12 was only enough for 1 air bed really, which was fine for me and my wife. Have also seen people setup separate cots in 6 x 12, if you're not the sleep in the same bed kind of travel partners. Only big downside there is having to unload almost everything before setting up the bed(s). So strolling into the track late makes for an even later night. I have since moved up to a Toy Hauler for that reason and to make room/comfort for having a kid with us as well.

3. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

If you have a larger pickup - I recommend going with a goose/5th wheel for a trailer that size - you'll see better MPG on a similarly sized trailer vs. bumper pull. Obviously cost can get outrageous but there are nice "car" style setups with small living up front and a large garage made by Pace or the like.

I know you guys will be going around the country - someone mentioned tolls and they aren't wrong. To travel from MN to Pitt (and back) it cost me a little over $500 just in tolls with our triple axle trailer. We'll be doing that again this year so are looking at some other options (van or maybe single axle trailer just for the "far" rounds) but need a way to transport/cook food so will likely just stick with what we got.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I really don’t want a Toyhauler type rig. Plan on a tag along... The new truck is rated to pull 12,000 pounds but want to stay Well below that. I’m really leaning towards a 7’x22’ maybe 24’ dual axle setup then finishing it out ourselves the way we want it.

5. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Be careful of trailer sway, when you’re bouncing up again 10k it’s a lot of weight for a class 4 set up. Do some research on loading and tongue weighing, you might even want t9 go with an anti sway hitch.

6. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I use a 17ft V Nose and it's great for two bikes and all of the assorted stuff I bring. No need to pack the cab in my Silverado which is nice.

We have 34ft triple axel non gooseneck for the race car and its a beast. 2500 diesel is mandatory to pull it. As awesome as it is to have at the track its a nightmare to park. Truck stops only for fuel.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wow... just had to look what it would cost for my RV to make the trip... one toll was $38. :wow:
    Meanwhile..I can drive from my house to CA (2400 miles) and not hit a single tolled road! :D

8. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Yep at one point we ran into a $52 toll bolth. I asked if they had the decimal point wrong

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

24' cargo mate car trailer. 6 bikes plus tools,tires and gear. Prior to getting the toter, we would unload, lay out some carpets and make it our living quarters. FB_IMG_1545187584357.jpg

TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

That’s not true. Class A license is required for anything over 26,001 pounds for private use. Then speciality certs for air brakes, etc... you also need a medical card etc when you get to that weight.

Registration is the big one. Your over weight that is very expensive in PA regardless of commercial or private use.

People get screw by trying to save 50 bucks a year and register their vehicles down on weight and then end up hauling/towing over weight even tho they would be in their vehicles rated GVW.

11. Ive had a few different sizes. My current one is 8.5' x 18', with a 9' interior height. I have found it to be perfect.

I can load 3 full size bikes, plus The Grom, plus a small Polaris ATV (pit bike), and still have plenty of room for tires, wheels, stands, tire cart, etc.

TLR67 likes this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yours was the inspiration for mine for sure when I saw it a couple years back Chris...

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Your pulling with a Motorhome though aren't ya? If we were pulling with one or the Box van I would definately go 8.5 wide and tall. Pulling with a truck I have to beleive the 10-12 less square feet of frontal area will have a significant impact in fuel mileage.

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Taller and wider than you think you need are really nice upgrades and make a world of difference in a trailer. Like everyone else has already said 7x14 would be absolute minimum and I would guess 16-20 foot in length would be better. Tandem axle with brakes is a must at that length.

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I had no problem finding a 6x12 single axle with brakes on it.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

9' high? How many chandeliers do you have in there?

Gorilla George and alan like this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I imagine that can be location specific depending on state laws. Here in Virginia, once you put brakes on them you have to get them inspected annually. It is a PITA, as most of the gas stations that do the cars won't do a trailer. "Sorry mister, can't do it. It won't fit in our garage bay". You have to go to some truck place. The truck places are not open on the weekends or after hours, so that means taking time off work. It is probably easier to find a place to inspect them if you live further outside the DC area. So most people here who want a 6x12 or 6x10 single axle don't want to mess with the brakes and annual inspections that come with it. If you want brakes they stock 6x10 and 6x12 double axles for that.

18. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

In the lovely paradise that is NY, we have to have every trailer inspected annually anyways :)

19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I thought the only BBS approved answer was something along the lines of dually with a bunch of buttons and a stacker?

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've never taken any of my trailers in for an inspection...FL, AZ or PA. They've been everywhere in between, including NY and NJ.