1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed: 2018 R6 dead throttle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by EnvyCycles, Dec 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Guys, looking for some help with this bike and can not figure out this issue as it does not happen on the dyno.

This is Max Angles R6, he was the one that was hit on the back on the front straight at Barber MotoAmerica.

So the problem is that the bike out of now where the throttle has no response regardless what you do. So at Barber when he came on the front straight the throttle dies and had no acceleration.

This issue first showed up at Laguna MA and we swapped the a fuel pump and took the tank foam out and during the race the same issue happened.

For Barber we replaced the throttle bodies and put it on the dyno and never had any issues. Well then Barber came and the same issue came and thats when the wreck happened.

So when we got the bike back to FL we took it completely apart and could not find anything. Someone recommended to replace the Temp sensor on the scoop and also the atmospheric sensors and we did.

We took the bike West Palm Beach and did a race with it and had no issues on the weekend.

We went back this weekend to PBIR for the FMRRA races and on Saturday the same issue came back on the front straight.

We have a YEC ECU ad Harness on this bike and the abs delete.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

You used 2017+ throttle bodies yeah?

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Most likely a glitch in one of the TPS circuits throwing it into failsafe mode. Did you try pulling codes out of it when the problem was present?

The TPS circuits on the ride by wire stuff has redundant circuits for throttle position and throttle valve position. If any of those circuits glitch it shuts the throttle down to prevent a runaway situation.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You need to put some data recording on that thing and see what's happening. That crash at Barber was one of the scariest I've seen in a while. I'd hate to see something like that happen again while you are guessing at the problem. if replacing the TB/TPS/APS didn't fix, the ECU itself is the next place I'd look, but you need to see what is making the TPS shut off. Does it restart and react with a key cycle? Is there an issue with intermittent ground? Don't guess at this one if you can help it.

TurboBlew and turner38 like this.
  5. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

I was gonna say the same thing as RM Racing..." Is there an issue with intermittent ground? "

Check the battery ground cables(s) at both ends.

Had a bike shut off on the racetrack after an engine swap one time...ground cable at engine was left loose.

6. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

I'd start with a harness, ECU and TB's. And as RM said, this is not an issue to test around.

TurboBlew and turner38 like this.
  7. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Yes, 2017 and 2018

8. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

2 TB and same result

9. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Rick to avoid the situation we figured that we run it on the dyno for a little while and since problem did not show up after replacing the APS and ATS we took it to the track and one race weekend with no issues and but then it came back.
    And yes as soon as the power is cycled the throttle comes back.
    Since the times it has happened we had cycled the power to get it back to the pits we have not seen any codes. Max did say he say the engine light on when it happened.

10. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

We took the harness out completely to start from scratch and make sure everything was right.

11. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Emry that is the plan but don't know anyone with the YEC setup on the new R6 and the other issue is that it's an intermittent problem from what we have seen.
    Might have to buy another harness and see.

Do you know of any short harness like in the G3? Maybe we can use a stock harness with a short kit harness.

12. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Is it a proper/genuine YEC ECU?

13. Shuma-gorath

Shuma-gorath Well-Known Member

Open up the harness and check for broken or stressed/pinched wires leading to the tb/ injectors assembly. It might not have happened on the dyno b/c flex was not added to the equation. If the harness checks out then it would be the ecu since you already changed the tps. These ecu's do have glitches

14. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Yes it is.

15. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

We are planning on removing the harness and ring it out while shaking it and hoping to find something.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Just a though, I’ve had a couple of cars with bad Rectifiers cause TPS/APP codes and go into failsafe mode caused by AC voltage in the system. May be worth checking for AC voltage with it running.

17. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

You need to make sure you're getting 5v to the components that want it (FI system) while doing the hula dance with the harness. Testing resistance with the harness removed will probably yield shit results.

emry likes this.
  18. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Thanks.
    Will check this also.

19. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this will help you as I had similar problems on a 750 and I assume there is probably similar tech on an R6.

My issue was with a relay that handles switching on most of the 'safety systems" on the GSXR. The kickstand switch, the ignition switch, ignition key, and ECU are all wired to this relay.

Mike Canfield helped me find the problem on his dyno. We ran the bike under moderate load on the dyno and started tapping and pulling on all wires, connections, relays etc. As soon as we tapped on this particular relay the bike cut out.

Replaced the relay and problem was solved.

20. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

We found the problem.
    Auto blipper was causing the issues. On the dyno we got it to fail several times and also noticed that around 9k there was some minor hick up.
    We removed the auto blipper and hick up is gone and throttle has not failed.
    Didnt remember that the auto blip takes control of the TB and after finding this, remember an old thread where someone said "Scary that the blipper is taking control of the throttle"
    We ran the bike for a while on the dyno and no faults. We are still going to ride the bike with no other bikes around to make sure that was the only issue.

MELK-MAN and BigBird like this.