1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer size?

Discussion in 'General' started by pero796, Dec 18, 2018.

1. pero796

pero796 "the chimp" WMRC #65

My buddy and I are trying to research the best size trailer for two bikes each the racing in track days along with room for tires tools equipment fuel suits etcetera etcetera
    Any feedback from experienced racers track day junkies your people's experience racing and transporting to track days non fifth wheel... hitch... double axle electric brakes?

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

6x14 single axle for me. You can squeeze two bikes in, have a decent toolbox and a fridge to boot.

And since the single axle, its easier on toll roads then the duals.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

In case you hadn't taken into account other considerations beyond physical size strictly related to accommodating bikes and gear, here's some inciteful (pun intended) words of wisdom...

I have a 6.5x14 v-nose. I've taken upwards of four bikes, full riding gear, the tools and everything else two other riders and I could possibly need. When we got to the destination, I kicked them and their shit right the fuck out...and they're both really, really good friends of mine. :crackup:

When I go to the track alone, one bike, there's no accommodation for others. There's room, yes, at an inconvenience to my comfort, so, no.

Even if your buddy is your BFF, you better get a big enough trailer to spread out comfortably. It needs, at the least, room to stagger the bikes so you can work on 'em individually, storage for your individual gear, tools, ground equipment and etc. that doesn't have you digging through all that shit in order to get to it and, maybe, room to bunk down with out being nut-to-butt while the bikes and everything else are in the trailer with you.
    If you have no plans to sleep in the trailer, it will still be a home away from home. You don't want to be trippin' over their shit anymore than you'd want them trippin' over yours and you'll still want the option of casually placing everything back in the trailer when the day is done...you won't want to be playin' Tetris. Sure, you can also spread your shit out under a EzUp/canopy, but...you gonna leave it out overnight? That might be okay if you are also staying the night. (I'd booby-trap the perimeter.)

One of those afore mentioned good friends and I took my trailer and our individual bikes/gear, etc. to a track...for_one_day.
    We hadn't even suited up yet, I wanted to strangle him...and I'm a peaceful guy. :rolleyes:

I've used a 7x16 with two bikes and just myself as the rider and had a spectating friend with me...it was okay. We did not sleep in the trailer.

I say you're lookin' for 8x20. This will come with tandem axles and brakes. Sounds like overkill but, if you're gonna pair up with someone, you'll want to limit opportunities for inter-personal friction to develop. People that willingly put their lives on the line need their space.

If you haven't heard the golden rule...look for the size you know you'll need and get the next size larger.

After all that, there are those of us that just cram our shit into the bed of a pickup or van.

Good luck! :D

Kyle Brosius, NemesisR6 and TurboBlew like this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Whatever size you think will be big enough, get one size bigger.

dobr24, notbostrom, TX Joose and 5 others like this.
  5. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Pretty much this, I'm riding dirt now but 3 bikes and gear in my 7x16 has me feeling like @fastfreddie by the time we get to the track. Needless to say I'm ordering an 8.5x24. What are you towing it with? If you're towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel your options are pretty open, if you're towing with a 1/2 ton chevy with a 5.3 then options aren't so open.

dobr24 likes this.
  6. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Trailer law - when you think “if only I had two more feet of length,” you’ll still need two more feet of length.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

2 Bikes each? 4 Bikes total? Confused by your Q....

BigBird likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

This..... And then some.... Don't forget about Pitbikes neither... Pending on what you are towing it with I would go for a 8.5 ft wide.... You can get 3 bikes in a row in the back with room to spare...Then pending on cabinets ect up front 2 more or Pit Bikes...

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Racing 2 bikes with a friend... 7x16 minimum unless you enjoy sleeping nut to butt with him.

4 bikes total? Shit, 8.5x20 at the least. Don't forget the pit bike(s) either...

I have a 25' Work n Play and it's about the smallest I would ever go racing 2 bikes and still have room for the Zuma. Granted, it has a dedicated bed and I lose square footage from the shower and whatnot (hence my 7x16 suggestion for 2 bikes). 3 bikes get crowded quick, Zuma has to go in the bed of the truck, then I lose all that bed space I used for storage and shit gets piled up inside the trailer. Not particularly fun to load and unload.

10. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Also pay attention to gcvwr of your tow vehicle as well as state licensure for gcvwr. In PA anything pulled over 10k pounds requires special licensure and appropriate vehicle registration. I leanerned this expensive lesson coming home from njmp this year.

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

NTTATWWT :Poke:

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

That's only for PA residents, correct?

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

3 axle toy hauler.

masshole likes this.
  14. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I have a 7x12 bull nose single axle for myself. Occasionally I will have two bikes in there but things can get a little tight once you start putting in extras and accessories. So go at least one size bigger than what I have.

15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying to decide what size to buy to race out of next year myself...
    Leaning toward a 7x22 or 8.5x 24...
    Thinking the 7 wide may help with fuel mileage. Plan on building living quarters in the front and having a 10-12 bike area in the rear.

16. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

[​IMG] i am please with my 7x15 (legend 7x13 box) that extra foot wider than a 6 makes room for canopy's suit case generators ect next to the two bikes. i fit a good size tool box 2 600's a 300 and a z125 pretty easily with pitbull TRs and nice raxx stand hangers.

here is a photo zx10,zx6,675 and z125
    [​IMG]

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Not really, every state has their own take on the requirements. If you drive through any state you are supposed to comply with their requirements. I recently bumped my 4B truck up to a class 9. Yearly registration went from $250 to $560 !!!! Also got my non-commercial license (permit currently), need to go take the test one of these days.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

For two bikes, 6x12 V-nose is fine if you are not sleeping in it, although it sleeps one fine. Get the extra height unless you are both Pedrosa sized. Even then get the extra height so you can mount the stands on the walls above the bikes. We squeezed three bikes in mine once but I would not do that on a regular basis. Particularly when the visitor decides they want to be in charge of packing the trailer because they are in a hurry to leave. It was like 100 degrees out that day, so I do understand a bit.

Single 5200lb axle with brakes if you ever go anywhere that has tolls. This will require a customer order / build out. Otherwise a double axle is fine and potentially easier / cheaper to get one off the lot.

19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

7x12 has worked. I like the extra foot but it does increase frontal area (drag). The double axle also gets you trailer brakes which is nice IMO. I have an RV so leathers and such go in there. If I was purchasing now I would hunt for a 7x14 aluminum frame (saves a ton on tow weight and tongue weight). The Al Frame is a premium but I would still do it. YMMV as I am in the south so more hills but no salt on the roads.

Oh and I am VERY claustrophobic and adverse to disorganization so require more space than others might.

20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

At that size/weight, the extra 1.5' width won't do a lick for fuel mileage, but it sure does make a difference moving around inside the trailer. I'm really glad I went with the 8.5 when I bought my toy hauler.

And what are you doing that you'd need room for 10-12 bikes!? You'd need more than a 24 footer for that.....