1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't God stop gun violence

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by turtlecreek, Dec 3, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I already told Greedy Claws what I wanted for Jesus' birthday. :D

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

One of them requires constant thanks and adoration, much like my first wife. Failure to comply results in eternal torment, again much like my first wife. Failure to believe in the other one merely results in different tags on your Christmas gifts. One of these beings appears to have unresolved anger issues.

badmoon692008, IronCactus and auminer like this.
  3. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

so many replies....."there you go again".....the problem is you know so much that isn't so"...etc. God doesn't require constant thanks and/or adoration. he doesn't require anything of you. free will and all. however, should you recognize your true state/nature, like everything in life, there is a right way to achieve something. as to the anger issues? again, i point to all he did to make it easy for us to have it all. obviously, reading this thread, he knew that he would have to make it VERY easy if men were to have a chance of getting out of their own way.

G 97 likes this.
  4. nigel smith

Nothing is required of me? What is my fate if I don't acknowledge him as my saviour, but live a good and moral life?

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This could easily be read as, should you recognize His true state/nature.
    The broken record skips every time it hits this consideration.
    Y'all are still personifying Him.

My referencing this thing we call God as He or Him/She or Her, isn't personification. It's a way to address it with reverence. By doing so, however, I (we) do personify it, making it in our image. What hypocrisy...
    We have no idea what it really is. We can only assume through inductive reasoning. That's a mistake because it is infinite, we've only begun to scratch the surface and, therefore, can make no claims to what it is nor have a true name for it.

Replacing the personal pronouns with "it" might lead to a clearer understanding of our perceptions and the "evidence" written through the ages by those that witnessed it before.

Is it any wonder there are continual wars over this shit that manifests just how arrogant, petty and contemptible we can be as a species? But, doesn't history show war and conflict is how we grow?
    Should we be thankful to spill blood? Sounds like a good enough reason as any for all the bloodshed in history throughout civilization.
    Is being bad motherfuckers our calling? No wonder the aliens appear wary...we'd knock the shit out of 'em if they so much as gave us the stink eye. :D

6. turtlecreek

if you don't acknowledge him, then to you, he doesn't exist. what do you expect to get from something you don't think exists? as to "good and moral"? by whose definition? Nancy Pelosi? The pope? DJT? Charles Manson?

7. turtlecreek

as weird as what you wrote reads, there is definitely some truth in it. :) God kept it simple and said "I AM". as to bad mf? I think a man that can admit his faults, understands he can't do it by himself, trusts in a carpenter (the original bad dude who conquered death...pretty bad in my book), loves others, cares for the weak, and works to provide is a pretty bad dude.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm the baddest dude around, then. :D

9. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Santa spoke to me last night. He said, believe in me, be a good boy and that Ferrari F40 you asked for will be in your driveway Christmas morning.

10. nigel smith

You did not answer my question. To the best of your understanding, what is the fate of a virtuous non-believer? Use any definition of good and moral that you like. If you consider Charles Manson to be an authority on the issue, have at it.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's the eternal checkmate question.

:offtopic: Anyway, I was here looking for a place to park this. I guess this thread will do. :D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I always wondered what happens to the virtuous that have no way to hear the message? Do you burn because you happen to be born on a remote undiscovered island?

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yes. I went to a Christian school for a very short period. I asked this. The teacher replied “well there’s missionaries all over the world so they had a chance.” I think that’s when I decided I hated these smug self-satisfied little cunts. The foreigners should abandon their belief system because your white ass showed up talking about Jesus. That’s why I always smile when Jesus freaks show up somewhere and get speared through their fucking chests for their efforts.

14. Fonda Dix

That’s a terrible response

It’s for people like her that I sometimes hope that Buddha or LRon Hubbard‘s waiting for her when she dies. Can you imagine the look on her face ?

15. nigel smith

If I have not misconstrued the relevant dogma, the heathen who has never heard the word of God exists in a state of grace and need not fear eternal damnation on that account. If, however, you tell him about your Lord and saviour and he fails to accept God's divine mercy, you just punched his ticket straight to hell. With friends like these...

SGVRider and Fonda Dix like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me - Nice quote, however not a single bit of gods word has ever been clear to anyone. If it were the bible wouldn't be necessary nor would any religion based on the Judeo/Christian deity....

You "it is crystal clear to me. for God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever believeth, shall have eternal life."

This isn't difficult.... I say it's not clear and you need the bible and the preachers and such because it is not clear. You respond with one line flat out saying that is clear. So which is it?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Whose definition do YOU live by?

18. Fonda Dix

That's an interesting question.

Do all religions have a punishment or failure component if morality fails? I have read enough about 6 of them to say those do. However, there are hundreds if not thousands.

I have to wonder that if you had a population with no religion whatsoever, what would their morality be like? What keeps them in line?

I cant say I ever NOT did something because of a fear of God or the afterlife. I dont do bad things because bad things are wrong. However, my roots are in the Church of Christ (yuck) so my initial morality did have some religious roots.

19. RRRepsolRider

RRRepsolRider Well-Known Member

There is a population of people who live without money, politics or religion. It’s a self sustaining community. Has no crime, no pollution and from what I read, operates easily. No outside influence and yet it is peaceful and their people operate based on right or wrong from what’s in their hearts.

Proof that religion isn’t needed for people to do the right thing.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  20. turtlecreek

i did answer you. you just didn't understand my point. God is. He is the standard. He is PERFECT. He is JUST. Sin is imperfect and injust. He has no tolerance for it and it cannot be in his presence (darkness cannot exist with light). therefore, to be in God's presence (Heaven), you must be perfect. That is the standard. Left up to you and I, none of us would pass that sniff test. ""Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone."" So, you can be as moral as you want, but without the redemption that God provided for us, you won't make it. That is a pretty awesome God to me, who gave us free will so that we could experience love and then provided the path to eternity and perfection simply for the asking. Now regarding the pygmy on an island question, The bible says that we all experience/see God in the world around us (ie, the beauty, the order, "nature". "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

i am probably cannot articulate this clearly, but, even if the word has not been put in front of you and no one has ever explained Christ to you, you still understand your own nature to sin (darkness) and that something bigger than you has created light for you and your actions reflect this understanding, then you can be with God. remember, God is Just and he is perfect. That is well beyond my comprehension, but the best i can do. As far as more responsibility to those who have heard? Yes, to whom much is given, much is expected. suck it up buttercup. :)

wookie likes this.