1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voting Rights

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Dec 12, 2018.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The traditional family has been destroyed by the left so it's not really a consideration anymore.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

How about this:
    1. 18 years of age (I prefer 21, but that was settled 45 years ago)
    2. Proof of citizenship, with valid ID
    3. Pass a fundamental test on civics...the three branches of government, What is the bill of rights, stuff like that.

badmoon692008 and K51000 like this.
  3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

What are the term limits in congress?

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Why do you prefer 21? Are you in favor of making 21 the age to serve in the military as well? Doesn't seem right someone can die for their country and not enjoy the same rights as everyone else.

K51000 likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The military is now voluntary so that 21 argument is BS. 50 years ago there was a draft which made it valid.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Every two, four or six years.

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Unlimited two or six years terms.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Limited by the electorate. Just like it ought to be

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree with you but in today’s society of stupid voter that punch straight tickets, the imcumbants are usually a good bet for re-election. I hate to see more common sense laws on the books.

10. In Your Corner

If we take the draft into account then women shouldn't vote at all, right?

11. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'd agree with this, except the backroom deals and the gerrymandering that keep incumbents in place and/or running unopposed in some places.

Personally, I'd be good with term limits in Congress.

12. cpettit

Who said anything about the draft? I'm talking about men and women who join up and fight for their country. You gonna tell them they can't vote? It's bad enough they try to tell them they can't even drink a beer at that age. Besides, don't men still have to register for selective service when they are 18? As long as that's a law I don't see how you could deny them the right to vote for the asshole that might try to bring back the draft.

13. In Your Corner

Without a compulsion to serve your original point doesn't hold.
    And you certainly bring the draft into it with your last post.
    How can you ask men to go to war when you don't make women go?
    You're the one who brought up the fairness aspect and used service in the military as the example.
    I'm showing you a built-in unfairness and you want to ignore it.

14. cpettit

Oh if there is ever another draft women should absolutely be included at the same rate as men. I don’t think there is any scenario where it would be ok to raise the voting age. If anything they should cap it at the age when you retire. No longer contributing.... no more say in what happens.

15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I thought retired people paid income tax. Maybe one of our olds can chime in and say.

16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Just because you are retired you can still pay any or even all of these taxes: income tax, property tax, sales tax, storm water run off taxes, personal property tax, etc.

Not allowing someone to vote who pays any of those taxes is taxation without representation. Now, we can argue that is OK in some cases, but remember that at least in part the American Revolution was about import tariffs, which basically amounts to a sales tax.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If I pay taxes on a business property in another state, I am taxed without representation.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

As I stated, we can argue if that is OK in some cases. That might very well be one of those cases. Or not.

You could also own two personal homes in two states and at least in theory you should only be voting in one of those states. Maybe you should be able to vote in state and local elections in both locations. It could definitely be a slippery slope when you start saying who can or can not vote based on what and how much taxes they pay. You could easily wind up with the rich controlling everything because after all, they do pay the most taxes. They are already in control of a bit too much of our government if you ask me.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm just pointing out that the taxation without representation already exists. I live in SC and work across the river in GA. I pay income taxes in GA and SC, but I can only vote in SC. I receive no representation for the taxes I pay in GA. I pay no income tax, but do pay property tax in SC. I do get a vote there. I am not arguing fair or not, I'm simply pointing out that the dreaded taxation without representation is alive and well for people that are not wealthy. I assure you I am far from meeting that standard.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

One might argue that you pay those taxes to enjoy the privilege of having a professional activity in a state/municipality that you're not a resident of. You have representation: where you actually live.