1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steak Torch

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

As a chef I don't use torches, to me it's just a gimmick, cast iron or what ever pan, seriously hot, sear quick

5axis, R1Racer99, tony 340 and 2 others like this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:crackup:

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:

4. Captain Morgan

sometimes I skip to the end with out reading things, sous vide has its purpose, you can do some really cool stuff with it for certain cuts of meat and lamb, venison. Especially the cheapest most tough cuts of meat. I was trained old school but a leg of lamb cooked 24 hours in a sous vide is hard to beat, or medium rare short ribs. There are certain cuts I won't do, rib eyes need fire and heat to melt fat, but something like a filet mignon with no fat can come out perfect every time with a quick sear, down to the exact degree you want it

galloway840 likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The goal here is to simplify the process as much as possible without compromising too much on flavor. The propane grill doesn’t get hot enough (and it’s winter). The charcoal chimney takes too long (and it’s winter). Broiler smokes up the house and makes a mess. Cast iron smokes up the house and makes an even bigger mess.

Based on the video I posted in the YouTube thread, I can literally pull the filet out of the water, open the pouch, pat it dry, torch it, and be done in a couple minutes with very little mess and no extra dirty dishes.

pscook and cha0s#242 like this.
  6. Captain Morgan

Just cook how you want, thats the beauty, there is no rules to cooking, there are recipes, but does not mean you have to follow them exactly, thats whats fun, you screw up a dinner, trial/error, there is always tomorrow and the next day

zrx12man and JBall like this.
  7. Captain Morgan

you can but I don't care what anyone says, a torch effects the flavor of the meat, save it for the creme brule, or just buy one try it, see if you like it. Its cooking a steak, not getting married:beer:

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

There’s also plenty of people getting married who can’t cook a steak :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Real men eat their steaks pasture to plate. Fuck all this fancy fire shit. :moon:

crashman likes this.
  10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am unclear why you are worried about simplifying the process when you have already gone through an elaborate ritual of vacuum sealed it in a bag, cooked it for 4 days and then cut the nasty grey looking piece of meat out of its plastic...:Poke:
    All joking aside though, I think a quick sear on cast iron would be quicker and easier than fiddle fucking around with a torch.

TLR67 and renegade17 like this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Filet minion? Damn, man. I know we have everything on the BBS, but a cannibal has to be a first.

zertrider likes this.
  13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Despicable.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Today's BBS topic is <drum roll> A Meat Torch! <golf clap>

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sorry....I don't like a girl's steak.....it has to have some fat and texture. You can keep the filets.

Steeltoe and TLR67 like this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Hanger *>>>>> Filet everyday, twice on Sundays.

*if you can find them

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Filet Mignon is ok every now and then, but this is where it’s at:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Captain Morgan likes this.
  18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me, all you He-Man homophobes... haven't done a sous vide filet for a while. I did do some ribs last week- 16 hours at 165 then 2 hours on the pellet smoker. AMAZING as always.

19. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Tristan you old bone gobbler you!

JBall likes this.
  20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I like to throw in a sprig of rosemary and a garlic clove, but you are on point sir.