1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which GLOVES to buy? 2017 addition

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Chaplain45, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Looks like I missed out on the sale - good price at $225.

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

How many seasons do you usually get out of your Helds? Any big crashes with 'em?

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Held or the Taichi gloves all the way. I have Held Titans and Phantoms and a set of Taichi Evo's. I stick to track days and I like to rotate between gloves and helmets between alternate sessions in order to keep that stuff dry.

The Taichi gloves are probably the best bang for the buck, though, if price is a concern.

I love Alpine Start suits and boots, but I just don't enjoy their gloves.

Chaplain45 and Senna like this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

love the heroic gloves..

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Looks like Heroic is going to honor the Black Friday price. They seem like a great glove, so I'm going to give those a shot.

Thanks all.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I smashed a hand between the ground and my bike in a set of Held Titans in deciding to not let go of a a bike during a high side. While I did break a couple of bones in my hand, the gloves are still usable minus the titanium knuckle guard being bent very badly. Stitching stayed together very well, and no damage to hand other than the crushing damage. That may sound bad overall, but I'm pretty confident that I may have lost some fingers that day or at least suffered much worse had I been wearing a less armoured glove. The are massive, and a bit bulky on the outside, but I don't know of another glove that is as tough as they are. So I wear Helds all the time now.

I'm sure some other companies make some good stuff too, but of what I have tried, the Helds are leagues better.

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Ultimately, there's probably no glove on the market that can handle a crash like that and not transfer bone-crunching force to the hand.

I just had a bit of a wake-up call after a gentle low-side on the track last season. Bike was fun outside of a bent shift rod, and I had no injuries besides a pinky sprain on the right hand as well as some hand pain. Pretty minor, but I realized that my Dainese gloves were most definitely NOT the best for track riding and started looking for an alternative.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i got them in Jan 2015. I think ive crashed 8x with them. 2x at Buttonwillow, 3x at Laguna, 1x at Utah, 1x at Barber, 1x at AutoClub. my fastest low side was prob T12 at Barber. I clean and condition them like 3x a year. they are starting to feel thin and stretched out so im considering buying new ones this winter. oh, they are Phantom 2s.

heres a good crash

Ra.Ge. Raptor and Senna like this.
  9. MELK-MAN

how to make gloves last longer ? (aside from not crashing.. lol) .. buy 2 or 3 pair. switch out throughout the day/weekend. i switch to another pair each session in warmer weather, so i'm letting the last pair dry out vs. continually getting/staying wet. Gloves won't just last 2x as long cause ya have 2 pair, the 2 pair will last like 3x as long.

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You can also get a boot / glove dryer to use between sessions to dry them out. Just don't use the heat setting.

R/T Performance likes this.
  11. MELK-MAN

won't dry wet gloves before your next session (i have 4 pair, and a dryer, in an air conditioned trailer). A dryer helps, but is not a substitute for a 2nd pair of gloves. :)
    suppose it's cool outside and the gloves don't get sweaty it's not as big a deal..

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  12. gabriel

gabriel Well-Known Member

Same here.I guess any glove will blow out if your hand hitting the ground a certain way i guess.I have a pair of those Dianese titanium & low sided,2 fingers on the glove along with the seem opened up

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

drying gloves is great. but it won't help anything if they are so salty and dry that they get crusty. at that point, they need to be conditioned to prevent damage. some ppl even say to condition before completely dry. I bought a kit from the main leather guy in SoCal. unfortunately, I don't always remember to use it.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, I'm staring down two hip arthroscopies in early 2019, so I'll miss most, if not all, of the track season next year. I needed a pair of replacement gloves just in case I'm able to get on the track before the end of the season, but buying two pairs right now is a little rich for me if I'm not even sure I'll use them for a year.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I tried a pair of Heroics on today at the IMS at NYC. Gotta admit that those are the softest feeling gloves I’ve ever put on. Like Buttah!!!

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I'm eager to try them out. Hopefully they'll get here fairly early this week. I still have the set of RS Taichis and Racers, so I'll try them all on back-to-back and see what I like the best.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The Heroics arrived yesterday evening, and I had a chance to try them on back-to-back against the Taichis and Racers.

I really wanted to like the Heroics, but I had a few issues with it that lead me to go in a different direction.

Heroics
    Pros:
    -Very soft internal lining. Very little break-in would be required. I assume this is due to the full-kangaroo construction.
    -Stingray leather felt quality. Lots of material in the glove - you could get quite a few seasons out of one of these, I bet.
    -Quality stitching.
    -Conjoined ring/pinky fingers.
    -Todd and his wife Theresa were a pleasure to work with.

Cons:
    -The left and right gloves felt like they fit a bit differently, with my right glove feeling like it rode higher up on my hand. This seemed to cause a pressure point where the strap buckle lays on the base of my thumb that became uncomfortable quickly. I told Todd about this, and confessed that it could be that I just have weird ass hands, but I didn't have this issue with any other glove I tried.
    -No hard plastic slider. Todd explained to me his reasoning with going for high-density foam + stingray, and it made sense to me, but I think I'm just more comfortable with a hard slider on the palms.
    -One of the internal fingertip seams bothered my middle finger on the left side. Not a huge deal as this happens with quite a few gloves.
    -This is subjective, but the aesthetics of the glove are a bit...much. There's just a lot going on aesthetically, and it doesn't really mesh well with the rest of my gear. These make the Infinity Gauntlet look conservative.
    -Very little in the way of ulna protection when compared to the RS or Racer.

I ended up going with the Racer High Speeds. They are a super comfortable glove that really has the features I was looking for in a glove (conjoined fingers, Knox sliders, hard ulna protection). The RSs probably fit my hand a touch better, but the Racer seemed a bit more protective and offered perhaps a touch more feel than the RS.

18. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

I had a second gen set of handroids i really liked as stg was getting out of knox i bought the most recent gen and i swear i could have tripped( low speed crash in the paddock) in the paddock and it blew out half the seems.
    I emailed them and basically they said you crashed it's your fault. if i had really crashed and they did there job and got destroyed i would have agreed.

I bought a set of racer high speeds there a great glove and fit pretty well other than i could use little more room getting my fist through the wrist opening.
    I tried heroic a few years back and had the same issue with the two gloves didn't fit or feel the same. i sent them back todd gave me a refund.

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

95 degree day at NOLA with 90% humidity - yeah won't get dry. Mine are almost dry (and a whole lot better than not putting them on the dryer) at Summit Point on an 85-90 degree day with reasonable humidity levels. The second pair isn't a bad idea, as we do get some hot humid days at NCBike and VIR for sure.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've tried multiple different gloves. My hands aren't large, in my opinion, but I've found I have to go with 2XL in order to get a proper fit. (XL used to work but I believe the manufacturers have changed their sizing). In any case all new gloves seems to have very skinny fingers. I don't have sausage fingers but still dislike the fit and feel. Many years ago I got some Kobe gloves from FastLaps. They were great...out of business now.:(