1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by flyboy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

That was cool!

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Would have been interesting to see the dynamic of having so many cube sat deployments. Understand why we can't, but quite a smorgasbord going on there.

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Well...it's been a while since we've seen one of those.

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Three posts in a row, I know...

But this "failure" turned out to be way more impressive than it initially looked. Hydraulics for the grid fins (or at least one of them...) apparently failed and caused the spin that was visible on the stream. Spacex cut the feed before it hit the water though. In the end the engines were able to stabilize the booster before it hit the water, and softly landed. Booster still in tact and they're sending out ships to recover it.

Onboard video of the landing is on Elon's twitter. Pretty amazing.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

6. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Listening to the employees alternate between cheering and sighing was pretty hilarious and confusing without any visual information.

7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Dang. They really are moving fast.

Attached Files:

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Stream is live for DM-1, which is a very important step towards taking astronauts on a spacex vehicle (hopefully later this year!).

9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I was down visiting my Dad and Step Mom in Cocoa Beach last week and luckily enough, we were able to watch the Space X Dragon launch from their oceanfront condo balcony. Very cool. My step-mom's grandson works for Space X, he helped design the arms that secure the rockets on the barge when they come back to earth. I watched the stream of the capsule returning today, that was pretty cool too. All in all, I am staggered at the engineering that goes into this project.

10. I was on the integration team that built DM1. I have 10 solid months of 6 days a week 12+ hours a day building it. Everything from welding to fuel tanks to engines. I don’t work there anymore but I saw that build through until it left for vibration and thermal testing in Ohio. Definitely a proud moment for me watching it launch.

MikeR and drop like this.
  11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Slacker.

I've heard Elon likes to purge the bottom 10% of workers every 6 months. Any truth to that?

12. Nah. Maybe once every couple of years but honestly they warned everyone at least 6-8 months in advance that lay offs were coming and to get their shit together.

13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Is the rocket used to launch this craft one of the re-usable ones?

14. Technically they’ve all been reusable for a while now. Sometimes they miss the barge and they have to go either sink them or collect them. I don’t know what block this was 3, 4 or 5. But this one has been used before and I’m pretty sure they’re refurbing this unit to do the inflight abort test. The goal is to show that if the rocket blows up during launch they can eject the crew/capsule away safely. So that’s the next milestone for them and a requirement from NASA. There are 8 super Draco’s aka jet packs, a pair in each quad of the capsule that fire in the event of a launch malfunction. That’s going to be a cool launch to watch (if they stream it).

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

On the abort test will they blow the rocket or just fire the escape rockets while on a normal flight?

16. I get mixed answers on it. Maybe one of our guys still working there can answer that.

17. FCEFA8D7-652E-4B2A-9878-D9B3B32C419E.jpeg
    Black shirt and hat, left of the guy with the purple shirt, I’m holding the flag up. This was the day before it shipped out.

MikeR and OGs750 like this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My mom worked at NASA Langley back in the Apollo days when all the astronauts and their families lived near there. She's proud of her minor contribution (measuring star track angles to help calculate reentry angle). I'm thinking you have and deserve to be one proud mofo for being on that team.

19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

We had a big layoff (~10%) that happened in January, but the last time there was a big one like that was over 5 years ago.

You must have been in the know or had a manager who was open because the last layoff took everyone I knew by surprise - only senior management was aware this time around.

20. Your mom is a badass. That’s awesome! I’m just a troglodyte with a wrench and a welder. I’m still proud though. :beer: