1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loading a bike in mini van.

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Hey fellas,

Anyone loading a bike into a Pacifica, Caravan, or Sienna?

Trying to simplify. no trailer and just sleep in the van.

Not sure if I would need to use some kind of smaller front wheel or lower the forks in the tree to load. Lowering the forks would be a drag.

I had a caravan and did a rough measurement. It didn't seem that a 600 would fit through the rear hatch.

My other option is GMC pickup with a popup, but I'm solo. It would be a big ask to find some random dude to help unload at the track.

The Pacifica also comes with free gas, but I am not supposed to put a hitch on. The truck does not.

2. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

You could rig a strap on the front end to hold the suspension compressed. Not sure that will get you the clearance you need, but seems like a possible easy solution.

3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

HF 4x8 trailer.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It won’t fit unless you lay it over.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Get a small trailer and a bolt on hitch.

6. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Was trying to avoid the hitch. Not supposed to add one to the ride I have. The wife Sienna could use one but the rear seats don't move forward enough to sleep in it like the Pacifica. The Pacifica has the stow and Go seats that lay all the way down.

Wonder if I rig up some 14" wheel to the front?

7. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

We have a guy who brings his ZX10 in a Honda Element, along with all the pit gear, camping gear, and a medium size dog (who her own lawn chair and doggy bed)
    No shortage of help loading and unloading, just for the novelty of seeing it done :)

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What if you pop the windscreen off?

9. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

I was able to fit my zx6r in a 04 nissan quest backwards with the winshield or body removed.

10. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Couple of poor ass Candians up here, just remove the windscreen and it would to fit in a Caravan early 2000's

11. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I think a Mercedes Metris cargo van would be perfect for a one bike operation. It’s a little taller than a typical minivan but will still fit in a standard garage.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

A Grom fits without any issues in a Town and Country :D

Had a buddy use a early-mid 2000's Town&Country/Caravan (The spaceship looking ones) and fit his '04 ZX10R. I think he had to take off the windscreen, and something else(exhaust maybe), but it worked.

Not sure about the cargo size of the new Pacifica, but I know Chrysler makes sure that 4x8 plywood can fit in the back of a minivan, so maybe similar to that generation of minivan. I've also noticed that the Pacifica has a better loading shape in the back since they moved the motorized hardware to the side. The '08-'16 had the hardware in the way so they tapered the opening.

13. Getting a motorcycle into a minivan is not a problem.

• Open the back of the van
    • Situate the motorcycle a little ways behind the van
    • Align with van cargo area opening
    • Do a practice race start

The bike will fit in the back just fine.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just loaded a bike into a minivan! Good gawd, I think I peeled the color off of marble with that one! :D

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Seen many a crash after the day was over by guys solo loading their bikes in pick-ups.

16. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

If it’s a race bike, just take the upper off. One of my customers took his 1299 to Barber last weekend in a mini van, no problem.

BigBird likes this.
  17. zjay

zjay Well-Known Member

And the belly pan as well, my old bike always use to catch the tailgate striker.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Used to do Kurts bikes every so often in the Aerostar, just remove the screen or the entire upper. Good excuse to set it all up for easy removal which could help down the line at the track.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Sell the bike, buy a Grom, load in minivan.

BigBird likes this.
  20. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Why would you say this? Any race or track day I've ever been at random dudes were always more than happy to help. It's what makes the community great.