1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati V4R

Discussion in 'General' started by ljuice26, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

2. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

3. Being able to rev to 16.5k will go a long way towards helping them be fast with the WSBK rpm limits.

4. You can use the 1100.

Most (if not all) clubs allow for Unlimited OEM displacement in their "Liter bike" classes. That's why I was able to race the 1299.

You only get into the cc limits once you get into FIM racing.

Even Australian Superbike allowed the 1299 to race. Bayliss raced the 1299 this year.

You can't take a 1000cc and overbore it, but if it comes 1100cc from the factory, then it is ok.

5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Ducati doing what they do best:
    [Basically, Ducati have engineered in an artificially high rev limit on the R to dodge any caps that will be imposed upon them by WSB’s rule makers should they start to win…]

#cheaters :D

5axis and Phl218 like this.
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

Kinda sounds like they're playing with the rules, doesn't it.

7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The specs on this bike make me lightheaded.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If a MFG didn't plan for future developments, then what?

motion likes this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Seems pretty smart to me.

turbulence likes this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Lol Ducati always games the rules. Only way they compete with Japan.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Relative to the Japanese MFGs, their billions of dollars and the all-encompassing variety of categorial offerings, would it be correct to say Ducati was a niche or boutique, specialty MFG?

12. Umm, you do realize Kawasaki did the exact same thing, right?

03RumbleBee likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ducati has a quarter-century headstart in this game of gaming the system. :D

14. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

We are talking about events before 2002 ;)

:beer:

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I wonder how FIM deals with RPM redlines. Do they take the manufacturers word that it revs to 16,5? Do they pull ECU code to verify? Just thinking back to the R6 redline issues of the past.

Also, if it has the same bore but different stroke (1103 vs 998) how can they have the same compression of 14.1? Different (taller?) pistons?

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Different shape piston crowns, different combustion chamber shape, tighten the squish up? Only 2cc compressed volume difference to hit 14:1 with 1103/4 vs 998/4, not a lot of material.

17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the FIM allow them to open the electronics warfare back up. Aprilia's individual cylinder bank injection system to assist in TC was genius and worked awesome. Pretty sure Kawi and BMW had a similar cutting program.

18. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

+1, i was hoping kawi would introduce the split throttle bodies on the production zx-10rr so they can homologate it and start running it again in wsb, but it sounds like they're getting by with some other ignition/fueling trickery to make it tractable off corners

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

They look at the data Dorna does it all classes. Bore and stroke must be the same as the homologated model.

20. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Bore and stroke are listed in the article and the stroke is different.

Interesting, thx!