1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennessee Folks

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducti89, Nov 22, 2018.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

XFBO likes this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ever been in those mountains where he's talking about?

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

You have to have a porsche just to stay on those curvy roads going to get water ...all the water :D

jrsamples and Gorilla George like this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

How "huge" a hill? At what pitch? If you do the math (like a civil engineer would) it would be obvious that the statement is hyperbole. Knowing what I think I know about Chris, I'm thinking he didn't intend it that way. Maybe he will let us know.

Said another way: there aren't 20 huge hills and 100 curves on 3 miles of rollercoaster, let alone a roadway.

5. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

while your at it, hows retirement look arount chattanoga. i got to get out of illinois befor it drives me nutz. i know that its only a short put, but Help.

6. ToofPic

Pretty sure Chris was right..This is just off I-75 in Knoxville going to a Walmart Super center.Bigger than normal walmart's
    and located just inside Knoxville..Pretty big hill,just over 100 curves in exactly 2.375 mile by my goggle aerial view.

[​IMG]

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, TN gets flat very quickly heading west. The E. TN area has some mountains, but covers what, 5-10% of the state? So is it all flat? Nope. But you can't call the STATE mountainous. ;)

The HIGHEST town in the state is Shady Valley (Hwy 421 fame) at a whopping 2,790 ft.

Ducti89, there are some pretty great places in those mountains, though. Roan Mountain TN, right on the NC state line.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Ducti89 and ToofPic like this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Blount County? That's Dragon patrol. :blart:

9. ToofPic

Nice view!! You sly dog!:bow:

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in W Knox Co. East TN will always be "home" to me. I have zero desire to live anywhere in Knoxville itself, HOWEVER, Maryville is great. I could handle living there and commuting to the Knoxville area. All that riding at your fingertips! Personally, I'd see what I could find up in the Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol area. Someone mentioned Elizabethton, that's basically where I've lived as well. I really, really miss that place! I know nothing about the law enforcement arena there, though one of my old riding buddies was a JC cop. Dude was nucking futs!!!! TN is honestly 3 different states. I've lived in every one so I can give an honest opinion. (W, Middle, and E TN.) E TN is much more "southern". The mountains are just gorgeous, and you can ride for days and not see the same set of curves.

11. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I work in Elizabethton, live one valley over from Shady.
    I moved here making more money than I did in KY, but there aren’t a lot of options if something goes south with the current gig (engineering). Po-Po is always in demand but I’m sure the salaries don’t compare.
    Cost of living is cheap, but we live in the middle of nowhere (by choice). No income tax. Gas is cheaper than surrounding states. Real estate can be cheap, can be crazy high (lakeside/mountainside resort properties vs rural/farm living).
    We love it. We visit Knoxville for music events, etc and have enjoyed it. We go there instead of Asheville lately - too many drunk rude-ass tourists.
    Mom just bought a place in Jonesborough, trendy little town just outside Johnson City. It’ll be nice having her closer.

sill'r B sill'd and jrsamples like this.
  12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I too work at Y-12, but I live in Maryville....actually between "Murvil" and Vonore. I have a 41.5 mile drive each way, but the money to be made at a place like that most certainly overcomes the hassle of a long drive and all the other factors involved in driving those distances. Y-12 and ORNL are probably the highest paying jobs in the area for a lot of folks and it's somewhat difficult to get into either one of them, but if you can, it's probably worth it. Property values are obviously lower overall when you get out away from the city proper (there are exceptions of course), property taxes are a lot lower, and of course if you value your privacy and quiet, more rural has certain advantages. Murvil proper has a lot of traffic, and it's getting worse everyday. I'm thankful that my morning drive is early enough that there is almost zero traffic.....but I pay for it on the way home.......Pellissippi speedway, Alcoa Highway, and 411 South....

sill'r B sill'd and Ducti89 like this.
  13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I grew up just outside of Boston. The cops in my home town make twice what I do, but their mortgage is 3 times higher. The job definitely isn't getting easier with today's political climate. Good luck in your search. I can retire in 3 years and 3 months...

Razr, Ducti89 and DucatiBomber like this.

14. How about you highlight in my post where I called the "STATE" mountainous.

I specifically said "NE TN".

While you are at it, you can also point out where I made any comment about the extreme elevation.

Oh, and BTW there is some good elevation at certain points. The highest point is Clingmans Dome, which is 6,643'.

drop likes this.
  15. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I’m curious... How are you leaving any law enforcement job and considering it a lateral move? Do you have a pension where you are? (If not why we’re you there?lol)
    I just assumed from following you on here and a few private convos we had that you had a decent amount of time on.
    I retire from PSP in 9 months.
    To be completely honest in today’s climate if I was leaving a pension I would just get out of law enforcement all together. What’s the incentive to stay if the pension isn’t there?

Hope it works out for you. I was out in Philly working not long ago with several guys from Delaware. They all seemed relatively happy down there.

Ride safe,
    AAron

XFBO likes this.
  16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:crackup:

17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Hey Aaron,

Its a lateral move in that i do a 2 week crash course to get certified under TN law and then slide into their FTO program for a period of time.

I do have a pension system at my place but it has become too toxic to continue. An explination on that requires a private conversation. Its truly pathetic.

Im a half-wayer in my career. I still enjoy it and the lure of a certain unit and it keeps me interested. Thats why Im willing to roll my contributions to a 401k and jump.

The money has to get a bit closer. I like my job and Im willing to take a hefty paycut to do it, too.

jrsamples and DucatiBomber like this.
  18. You made a typo. I think you meant to say the “FTP” program. :D

regularguy, DucatiBomber and Ducti89 like this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ah the old File Transfer Process.....

DucatiBomber likes this.
  20. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate on that? I live in blount county outside of Maryville. School system is overall great actually. Of course that’s being compared to Florida, where I was trying to find the proper CCW for the older daughter before kindergarten.