1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mazda people, please advise

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Looking at a 2008 Mazda 3. 75k miles. I can get it for $6900. I'm buying for my 20 y/o daughter. I need to know the good, bad and ugly on these!

2. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

We owned a Protege for years. Not having had a 3, I'd still say buy it.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

I love Mazda, not sure about the 3 long term issues, but they drive awesome for sure

Sent from my smatrfone

4. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Damn. You people never disappoint!

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have a CX9 and I'd buy another tomorrow if they offered it with a 6.
    Sam's mom has a 3 and loves it. Dead nuts reliable, even more so than the Subaru she had before (and that thing was a reliable and very good car).

No idea on what used 3s go for. What does KBB say about the pricing?

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Look for rust under the fenders, this is a known issue. Ask if it's been repainted or fixed. I know Mazda did goodwill repairs of these rust issues, but rust reappears shortly after anyways. If it's a 2.3l engine (a Ford design), they often crap out around 70k miles, so be very careful. Personally, I'd steer away from them.

turner38 likes this.
  7. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I thought there was a "bad" engine but wasn't sure. This one has the 2.0. Thanks for the rust tip!

8. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

It's close on KBB. It's been on the lot 78 days so I'm going to offer pretty low on their asking price.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I've had an 08 since new. Been a good car. The wife has been driving it new for about 4 years and loves it. Probably couldn't find a better car for your daughter.

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Can she drive a stick?
    I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport with 72000 miles that I’ll sell you for $6500

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is the 3 a base with the 2.0 or an S with the 2.3?

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I don't know Mazdas (though the son had a 3 speed). The Ford 2.3l 4 banger has been a very stout engine for decades. Had one in my pinto way back when. I ran that thing until the only thing working was the engine.

13. cha0s#242

LOL, it's certainly not the same engine as in a Pinto, but thanks for calling :crackup:

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Really? I had that engine in a Mazda6 and put 185k trouble free miles on it with nothing but oil changes and a set of plugs.

15. Mazda stopped using Ford motors about 15 years ago, and never used them in the 3 series. The Ford relationship is long over. The Mazda3 is 100% made in Japan, and always has been

My exwife had a 2006 Mazda3, and now has a 2017 diesel Mazda3. Both are great cars.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

OK, I didn't know that Mazda and Ford has split....The Ford 2.3 liter is Ford's version (as far as longevity goes) as to the Chevy small block. A legendary engine.

17. cha0s#242

According to this Wikipedia, page, they are still using it : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

18. CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  19. cha0s#242

I see. Apologies then.

20. No worries. My post was unclear.