1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance tank quick fill set up questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by yokohama1, Nov 20, 2018.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Trying to get a bike set up for next year and have been starting to research quick fill options for a gas tank. I have reached out to Chris Parrish and he is going to do the tank expansion and install a quick fill ring. He mentioned that most use the Red Head dry break systems so I am trying to get as much info as possible from those that have been through this before. I see a lot of people use the aluminum filler jugs but I was curious if there is any disadvantage to using a plastic tank like this? Or will these tanks even work on the double dry break that I see is used. https://fuelsafe.com/dump-can-fueling-bottle/
    Thanks in advance for any information.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Examples of things that Work.

Single:
    [​IMG]

Double:
    [​IMG]

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Plastic tanks work. Our plastic single dry break jug dumps 5 gallons in about 7-8 seconds. It's all in the venting. You have to get the air out to get the fuel in.

TurboBlew, Waterboy and Britt like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You'd really have to have the rest of your pit stops dialed to make a double dry break worthwhile... as Cop said, a single with a plastic jug is plenty fast and what most use.

Britt likes this.
  5. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

exracer941 and Waterboy like this.
  6. yokohama1

That’s all good information.
    With the single break is the venting is built into the inlet? Trying to get a better understanding of how the two different setups work.
    Thanks all.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you go to the IMS page you can see the single probe for sale and how there is a vent line coming out of it and going up from it a couple feet.

So yes there is a vent line in it to the top of the tank. If you cant find a used setup that IMS single set up is the cheapest ive seen for that style of dry break setup. And its about $600 for tank, probe and receiver.

8. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

As I read this the thought came to me. If you had one of those aluminum can't instead of a vent on top you could put a schrader valve and pressurize what air gap you have in there. Assuming enough it put in that it wouldn't create a vacuum while dumping you could theoretically fill faster than gravity alone would allow. I'm sure it would be super safe too.

10. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Mike, pressurized refueling setups are not permited per WERA rules. (Means you were not the first to think about this...)

JJJerry likes this.
  11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I see PM Chicanes (race version I think?)...

Question to all of you that have done the endurance thing, is the quick fill really necessary for groups that are doing it for fun and extended seat time etc?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Only needed if you are serious about winning and there are others who also are serious about winning in your same class...

rcarson15 likes this.
  13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

What Britt said

14. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

FYI, it took about 19 seconds for us to change a rear tire. Using a 5 gallon VP jug, outfitted with a 90 degree ball valve (to let air into the jug) and a Tuff Jug cap, we were able to fuel the tank in about 15 seconds. The slowest portion of our equation was the rear tire change. Running a 2015 R1 at Pitt-Race, we had to change the rear tire every other stint. And a stock tank only got us 40 minutes per stint.

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Understood. Let me be clear, not intimating it's unnecessary.

I'm bolting together a 1G from spares and hope to try a round or two this year with some friends. I've never tried endurance racing before, so not hopeful about winning but at the same time want to secure the needed stuff to be prepared and as competive as can be.

EDIT - but also don't want to spend on things that aren't necessary.

16. renegade17

redneck engineer the fastest setup that you can to fill your tank and go have fun.

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Fixerated ..:)

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

He was just ass-kissing for future plans he has of endurance racing, Britt.

:D

19. yokohama1

That leads me to another question. Are the systems pretty fail safe and user friendly? Crew is going to be paid in beer so want to limit the the chance for barbecue to go with the beer.

20. renegade17

Not even I would stoop to ride a 1st gen SV. A man has got to have limitations

regularguy likes this.