1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 - New case covers vs. case savers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by peterleduc, Oct 20, 2018.

1. peterleduc

peterleduc Well-Known Member

Ok guys, I’d like some votes. I picked up a 2012 R6 that needs case protection. Please give me your vote or opinions.

Used woodcraft covers $250 total
    VS.
    Used Yosh case savers $75 total

I don’t lean the bike over so much the extra 3/4” the case savers protrude would not be a problem. The price difference isn’t a huge deal either.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Replacing case savers is easier, doesn't need a new gasket, doesn't involve exposing engine internals or overcoming the magnetic force of the stator.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

GB makes a nice new set for the cost of your used Woodcrafts. Plus they bolt right over existing like the Yosh

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Are GBls Derlin or aluminum? I have both.. Vortex case on stator side and guard on right.. The Moto-R savers were the best... Isn’t that right Brit!

gapman789 and MELK-MAN like this.
  5. TurboBlew

GB is delrin

6. peterleduc

peterleduc Well-Known Member

Both are good points. I just reviewed the Woodcraft CFM video and in Eric Wood’s opinion they offer better protection. He said that he’s had customers with 12-15 crashes on the covers and they’re still holding up.

I’d guess better-best protection is what I’m most looking for more than ease of replacement.

7. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

I prefer the full case covers, Woodcraft being one of the best if not the best. Just stronger. If you have a nasty crash the case savers may fail getting ripped out of the case destroying bolt holes and exposing the weak OEM covers which can easily break/grind through, exposing internal parts to damage which just negates any money/effort you've saved by buying the cheaper case savers. Don't get me wrong, the case savers are good enough for some crashes and easier to install but it's a gamble.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I use Vortex cuz they are way cheap and survive a few crashes. I think i even have 1 or 2 left-side covers that are still functional but ugly.

9. TurboBlew

Ive seen new, never raced R6s with wallered out case threads that needed retapping. When I was removing the stock covers I noticed some werent even finger tight and aluminum shards came out with the bolts.
    To your point... yes that would have to be a heck of a crash to grind down even the cheesiest bolt over case protectors. Really if the cover/extended bolt takes the force... then the chances of your weekend being over is significantly less.

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I’ve had good luck with the Yosh case savers. Had them for years and quite few crashes. Always done the job and never had to replace.

11. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

GB Racing covers are good, but if you have a fast crash the damage can burrow through the covers and reach your OEM cases. Also, once they're down you trash them completely. Woodcrafts have beefy REPLACEABLE sliders which allow you to reuse the covers by replacing the slider. Another quality option is R&G racing covers, beefier than GB and have low profile sliders as well, lower than the Woodcrafts. I would stick with R&G or Woodcraft.

An example:

[​IMG]

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Crashed at NCBike with a Woodcraft on. It didn't go all the way through, so I would have been able to finish my day if not for my broken finger. I just ordered up a new slider and gasket. 15 minutes of work and I was all set with a new slider for my next track day. Well plus the time and money to repair all the bodywork and clutch lever. The Woodcraft repair was in the noise both in time and money.

13. Orangxer

Orangxer Member

Spray cases with bedliner

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Woodcraft. Only because Moto R isn't being made anymore. :beer:

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

GB's are cheap because they don't crash that well. Yosh's are expensive because they do.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Riders Discount offer an 'off brand' case saver.

Seem to be very good quality. $100 for the set.