1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northern peeps - recommend a good glove

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Nov 15, 2018.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

I'm from Florida but doing some travel work in eastern Pennsylvania, north of Philly. Anyhoo, it was 39 degrees yesterday, sunny and beautiful. I bundled up and went out for a 2 hours ride. I would’ve liked to have ridden longer, but my hands were frozen after a short time (I was wearing leather gauntlet gloves with freeze out inserts).

Now, being from the south, I have no clue about good cold weather gloves. Or cold weather gloves period.

So, any suggestions?

BigBird likes this.
  2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

When I rode a lot in the cold, I tried a few gloves and never found a non-heated glove that would keep my hand warm. Even snowmobile gloves.

I ended up with a set of Gerbings heated gloves that I love.

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A couple of people I know wear a normal race glove under a set of north face winter gauntlets. Bulky as all f@ck but those loons swear by it. The one dude is the type that sport tours the country on an SV so you know he's a nut.

4. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

BigBird likes this.
  5. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

Heated grips have saved my life on long cold tours in the rain. Just a consideration

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RRP likes this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Heated grips never did it for me...too one dimensional. Gerbings gloves, the wired type, are the tops. It's a lot of extra crap and I eventually just gave up with winter riding. If I'm gonna freeze I rather be skiing.

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I wear thin neoprene diving gloves under an oversized race glove. Works pretty well.

pfhenry likes this.
  8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

BMW Winter Pro Elite or something like that. Had them for several years and they never fail to keep my mitts toasty.

9. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

I thought of this, and the Freeze Out brand of under glove inserts I was using is similar. And while they did a pretty good job, the low temp still took a toll on my hands :(

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have the A* Drystar. With my heated grips and hand guards, they do a decent job of keeping my hands warm, but they are kind of thick so throttle feel is meh. I guess this is normal for a cold weather riding glove.

11. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Another vote for the gerbings. I can deal with cold toes and legs, but it only took one ride with a vest and gloves and I was smitten.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When real cold is a problem mittens are better than gloves.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

39*? Time to put a sweatshirt on, maybe.. :D

14. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

A couple of Under Armor long sleeves and a heavy leather jacket did well, but it was the hands that suffered. That 39 degrees was just too much :(

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

39º isn't bad but, above 15MPH, the windchill is below freezing.

16. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

https://www.hippohands.com

It seems like the guys who are serious eventually end up with these. I have a pair of Alpinestars that are windproof and have a fleece liner. They have worked for me down to freezing or so.

5axis and TLR67 like this.
  17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

There lies your answer, block that wind from getting to your gloves in the first place. ;)

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

19. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Didn't want to search for duplicates so I'll glom onto this thread....6" of new snow and it's still failing heavy and fast....they're calling for 10", then ice then more snow.....For once I went out and got the plow on the truck and backed it into the garage....Come-on f*cker, I'm ready! :mad: