1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a scope. School me.

Discussion in 'General' started by _indy, Oct 2, 2018.

1. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

If money is no option on a battle rifle at your distances...ACOG

2. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

The rifle.
    https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/rifles/del-ton-echo-316m-rifle-test/

Just for playing. Have a couple carry pistols. This was for longer range play.

Recoil, no idea. Haven't fired it.
    I'm open to spending for a decent scope, but once I get past twice the cost of the rifle seems crazy.

Correct, no sites at all.

Being old school, only used Iron or standard scopes.
    Iron is OK, but this rifle doesn't have them.
    Standard scope works just always bugged me once I started wearing glasses.
    The lower cost scopes made sighting a challenge.

Use, plinking. Just a toy.

Thanks for the insight. I've not kept up with the Red Dot or Halo scopes. Interesting stuff.

3. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Right on man. Plenty of sub $300 1-6x24 lower end patrol style optics that'll let you plink on a flat range from 10-300 yards easy all day. Might even find a 1x30 2MOA that'll get the job done without having to rotate a bezel. If you want to go big dollar on a $900 retail AR, peek at the Aimpoint CompM4s (its actually on the gun in the link you sent) or find a used ACOG.

My opinion? Go w a cheap 1-6x24, decent mount and a set of backup flip ups on 45 offsets. Now you've got a platform that you can use up close and stretch to 200 plus if you want w decent plinking ammo. You'll be in around half what you spent on the gun.

Good luck, go practice, have fun.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’ve been shooting for years. I’m considering a Ruger 10/22 model 1256 for squirrel and rabbit hunting. Im looking to pick-up an inexpensive scope.
    Any recommendations that won’t break the bank and not cost as much as the rifle?

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 with the Dead Hold reticle.

6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

NICE!
    I am old school all the way.
    Check my M16 before (M4) and after rebuild/refinish (Commando E2). Sold it last year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    neckbrace and rd400racer like this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My takes...
    - You'll want quick acquisition, so high-powered magnification isn't desired.
    - It's a .22, no need for variable power. (You can damn near watch the bullets go...er, drop out to 100yds with the naked eye while counting off the seconds to impact.) The money saved on single magnification can be put towards a higher quality scope. So, 2x, 3x or 4x.
    - No need for a fancy reticle either, but some sort of subtensions are in order considering how far a .22 will drop at 100yds.
    - Multiple lens coatings and a relatively large objective lens are your friends. Look for that as your priority to provide color and low-light imaging.
    - Under $200? Good luck. Most scopes I've seen at this price point try to pack too many unnecessary features for your application, making the overall quality suspect. If they don't have those features, we're talking seriously cheap...Barska. I'd waste the $50 on ammo before I ever mounted a Barska on anything.

- Aaaaaand, it looks like CB186 has nailed it. It does have variable power but, given its other attributes, I don't think you'll find anything else in its league at that pricepoint. One possible exception is the Weaver Rimfire 4x28 RV4 Duplex, but its only subtensions are the duplex posts...same money.
    Top either off with some decent rings and you've met the metric for gun $s = optic $s...and a brick of ammo. ;)

Seriously, if you buy a cheap scope, you might as well just get it out of a CrackerJack box. It's garbage.

8. speedluvn

Thanks for the info!

9. speedluvn

What am I looking for concerning “decent rings”?

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Weaver 6-Hole rings.

11. speedluvn

What are quality rings?

Also, is scope height a preference?

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. speedluvn

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

For the 10/22, Deadnutz makes a mount that works very well. Burris signature rings are also nice as they have an insert available in the ring where you can adjust for the drop in the rings themselves.
    The Weaver or Burris Zee rings are inexpensive and work perfectly fine for the 10/22.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Just get a good Tasco or BSA.

16. speedluvn

I’ve been a handgun person for a couple of decades. I’m basically a newbie when it comes scopes. What’s a good Tasco or BSA? I’m taking all of this information in. I want to buy once, hopefully.

17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Sorry, I apologize, there are not any GOOD Tasco or BSA scopes, just cheap ones.:crackup:

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

When I removed the "single magnification" from my search criteria, a number of worthy brands came into play as competitors to the Vortex. Factor in the price point and most of those quality offerings disappear. Of the ones that fill the price point requirement, Burris stands out. It, as well as Vortex, have a lifetime warranty...only buy once. (Admittedly, I did not research Nikon and the other fine offerings after I saw the Burris.)
    Not sure who, if anyone, is Vortex' parent company but Burris' parent is Steiner. I don't think anyone can reasonably argue against a Steiner, price not withstanding.

Few people can make anyone buy a particular product over hundreds of others.
    I would only ask that, with optics, would anyone buy reading glasses off the rack when, in fact, they need dedicated prescription glasses? Sure they would...cuz they're cheap. Their vision will suffer for those off-the-shelf transactions, of which there will be many.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  19. fastfreddie

If I were to offer shopping advice...
    Pick a couple/few scopes to choose from and handle them, twist the knobs, look through them, etc. Quality is a tangible quality. :D

20. speedluvn

I appreciate the info. It’s been very informative. Thanks to all.