1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASMA Bans Icon Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by condon66, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

There are helmets listed there that are not sold in the States (or are named differently), also there are helmets sold in the US that aren't available in Europe.

2. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

One hell of an eye opener looking at the sharp ratings. Thank you for taking a stand.

I'll be changing my choice of helmets. I always bought the Scorpion EXO700 cause it fit just right. Price wasn't the decision behind the purchase at the time. It seems their newer helmets aren't near as good as their old ones.

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Deja Vu all over again. Quite a few years ago, LRRS noticed that there were quite a few head injuries after rather mild lowsides. The common denominator in these incidents was an HJC helmet. They were banned, then later on the ban was modified to include all polycarbonate helmets. That ban remains in our rulebook to this day.

4. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

We did that at about the same time, I didn't realize poly helmets could pass the tests, we will be amending our rulebook for 2019

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I would almost agree, but the initial article had a quote that they wouldn’t recommend Icon for the track, the street, or even playing in the sandbox... :Pop:

Intentional or not, that wasn’t a legally safe quote to give. A funny quote to make a point? Sure.

6. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

7. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

That was a blurb for our racers in a joking manner, I never expected it to go anywhere but to our hundred and fifty racer group.

sheepofblue likes this.
  8. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

'legally safe' ?

OMG! lmao

9. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

When it's your race org, you can make any rules you want. Let the market decide if you are successful or not. A simple easy to defend statement would be "my/our organization, my/our rules." Statements about quality or safety however are for the lawyers. I'm all about WERA/ASMA being able to define how their org races.

I can ban 3' screwdrivers in my org and I can ban crapsman 3' screwdrivers. I can't say crapsmans are crap without possibly having crapsman lawyers wanting to talk to me.

I didn't think Icon was targeting the race/track market.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Your first time using the internets ay? :)

rcarson15, BigBird and badmoon692008 like this.
  11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Translation: "Icon threatened to sue our pants off so we changed our policy to not specifically call out their brand after we made childish statements about them in a document released on the internet"

418, The Great One and stk0308 like this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It won't be all that funny if we lose a race org to a lawsuit over an ill-advised offhand remark that just happened to make its way onto a good sized website.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If I remember correctly they were launching the Boz Bros brand and products with the help of Parts Unlimited. And since Parts owns the Icon they co-branded some jackets, T-shirts, and other stuff? But I think Eric was a Shoei guy for most of his career while Ben was with Arai and Soumy.

stk0308 likes this.
  14. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

the term 'legally safe' had me rollin' but I dont pretend to see the future through legalese. it is on my list of terms of art to look up now though in order to reverse engineer back to the future but I suspect its not even actually a term of that art.

lemme check..

15. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

With only a slight intention of muddying up the water with the ECE/SNELL rating debate, I am more focusing on ECE for this point of view. There are helmets out there that are definitely "street only" helmets. These helmets include convenience features, mainly a drop down inner sun shade; a great feature for ever changing light conditions to allow that rider less hassle for their ride. I know for a fact that there has only ever been one helmet with a drop down that passed SNELL (M2005), however more models and in current history are ECE rated.

I turn my head towards the tech inspectors at every race org to be educated not only on the safety ratings, their similarities and differences, but as well helmet construction. I'd definitely not allow any with sunshades (even ECE approved) to pass through tech, let alone any helmet that shows any signs of external damage. The original point made about a poly shell not revealing any potential EPS damage was a garbage statement. Was the helmet scratched, repainted or visually altered in any way? FAIL. I might even be so inclined as to have the tech inspectors educated on how to properly size a helmet as to not allow an unsafe sizing compromise to occur.

As for poly helmets being less safe? That is also highly subjective to the impact speeds which we never know until we have to actually test our safety gear. Same can be said about our beloved high end race helmets being used in street application. There is no one factor that will define what is appropriate. A much wiser person that I once said "Tell me how you're going to crash and I will build the perfect helmet for you"

418 and crusty9r like this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Like Mark Twain said "Get your facts first, and then distort them as you please".

CR750 likes this.
  17. Tristan

"we" as in WERA? That would be news to me. I'd like to know, as all my helmets are now out of date and I need to buy a couple before spring (not that I plan on buying plastic)

18. joec

joec brace yourself

Sorry. Yes. I just looked at the rule book. Apparently they ARE legal for wera as far as I can tell.. I for some reason thought they were not. Meh.

19. Tristan

I have a NIB EXO 410 that was a backup race helmet, damn thing hit 5 years old before I needed it.

20. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

No it was several years after all that. It was when he was racing the Brammo electric bike like 5 years ago and he ran the Icon Airmada helmet.

Bruce likes this.