1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying GSXR CDI box

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by crashman, Nov 8, 2018.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Guys,
    I have an old GSXR CDI box with a part number that I can not cross reference. It is wired like an 86-88 box but the p/n is 32900-27A51. The only thing I can find is that it has "Race 87" engraved on the outside of the case. It makes a bit more power on a dyno than either the 750 box or the 1100 box.

The 750 box I found is 32900-27A00 and the 1100 box for that year range is 32900-06B00.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like a kit box to me.

3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I'll give your tree fiddy for it

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That is what I was thinking too. The bike did start life as a full on Yosh Superbike so it is very possibly part of the race kit. I was hoping someone might have an inside scoop to non standard part numbers. The engraving looks like a 5 year old did it with an ice pick...
    :crackup:Sounds like a fair price if it is indeed unobtanium...

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Engraving with a dremel was a bit rough in the 80's :D I truly do think it's a kit box - especially if it was a Yosh or Hammer bike. I'd call Yosh or maybe even Keith Perry and see if they know for sure.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Clearly it’s not unobtanium if someone owns it :beer:

crashman likes this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Ya, the old race bikes were definitely function over form. It was definitely a Yosh bike (double frame, braced swingarm and fully built dry clutch motor) and was originally run by one of the Canadian fast guys. Unfortunately the motor grenaded before I owned it so I built up a healthy 1100 to shoehorn in. The old girl still surprises a few people on the track but the part that fits between the seat and bars is getting old and worn out...:D

I guess I will have to do a bit more research to figure out what I have.

8. tzrboy

tzrboy Working hard to play harder!

PICS!!!! Of the bike...

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am at work so this is the best I can do. Here is the old girl without bodywork. Done small.jpg

10. tzrboy

tzrboy Working hard to play harder!

Gorgeous! I’m putting together a 1986 myself. Love to share info.

- Chris