1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun values

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Nov 11, 2018.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

2. dtalbott

3. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Don't know the answer to that one. You would have to ask your insurance company about that. But I would assume insurance value is retail value.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    dtalbott likes this.
  4. Timothy Landon

The Ruger Single Six .22lr realistically is worth about $350 to $450 retail. The H&R is probably about $250 to $300 retail. Yours looks to be nickel plated. Might be worth a little more. They are both good good guns. I use to own an H&R myself. I believe mine was a 9 shot. We've had both in our shop before. If you can't sell them locally. Gunbroker is your best way to sell them.

5. dtalbott

Thank you very much for your help.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Absolutely. No different than you would have done with a motorcycle. An appraisal for what they would give you for it vs its actual value.

dtalbott likes this.
  7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

While they are all nice guns, except for the .410, they are not that rare or valuable. The .410 is slightly uncommon and to the right person would ave some value. The rest are really just shooters. I agree that your best bet would be to sell them individually on Gunbroker and set the reserve at a price you can live with. I think the prices Timothy Landon gave you are reasonable and realistic. Those are what I would be willing to pay if I were in the market for any of them.

Good luck.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. dtalbott

Here's the appraisal my sisters are looking at, and I thought was low.

290.jpeg

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, I wouldn't take that, no way, no how. Do you know what's broken on the H&R?. Create an account on Gunbroker and sell them there. Their fees have increased, but you'll still come out way ahead.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Find the right buyer for th3 .410 1100. I have had so many people try to buy mine off of me when they see it. I would not even think to entertain $700.00. I would give you $800.00 sight unseen.

11. Timothy Landon

Those prices are about right for a shop to offer. If you want to sell quick, I would take that offer. Not sure about the H&R revovler. Depends on what's broken. If you use Gunbroker our experience has been to list them at .01 cents with no reserve. It's a little risky. But most of the time they sell for what they are worth. If you set a reserve or buy now price you won't get nearly as many bids, if any at all.

Steeltoe and dtalbott like this.
  12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shit...he's trying to steal the H&R. I'll buy it at a fair price.

13. dtalbott

In order to avoid the family falling out, I have advised my sisters on how to proceed, and dropping the whole matter.

Thank you, though.

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keep in mind the values will be different in other places so a local appraisal could be good for local pricing. Once you start shipping it ups the expense which may or may not be offset by the higher price you get.

Of course if you go full illegal you could get the most :D

15. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

First, that was an offer, not an appraisal. It's about 1/2 of the retail value, IMO. Which is fair if the buyer is going to turn around and sell them in her/his shop. Overhead is what it is.

The 1100 is the most sought after in the collection. The "LW" does mean lightweight, but I also think it means that the receiver is sized for the cartridge. A quick search of the LW was inconclusive in 410 and 28. The 1100 is a well made gun, it is now collectible and the .410 is rare (along with the 28 gauge). I looked at gunbroker.com, and asks were around $1000, with most selling at 850-900. Again, you'd have to educate yourself as to what exactly you have, and what exactly it's worth.

A quick way to sell is to take it to an estate auctioneer, but if it were me, I'd tell the sisters you wanted the shotgun and they can sell the rest for cash and split between themselves.

ToofPic, dtalbott and Yzasserina like this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Why don't you all use Armslist? I trade on there almost weekly and have never had an issue.

17. dtalbott

I called the place who did the appraisal.

The original question was, "What will you give me for these?"

After explaining the situation to the owner, he explained that the question should have been, "These guns are part of an estate. Can you help me sell these for max value?"

I explained to my sisters that they should take the guns back to the gun shop. The owner will do a spreadsheet noting max expected sales price, and handle the sale and transfer of each gun for a 15% fee.

And that ends my involvement in trying to get max money out of these guns for my Mom, who was happy with the first offer. I've stirred enough shit up for this month.

gt#179 and Steeltoe like this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Best solution.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yep it is....

NOW...if any of you run up on any 3 Screw Ruger Blackhawks or Super Blackhawks...PM ME...1st. :)

SpeedyE and dtalbott like this.
  20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Have to second this. I've had exactly one unpleasant experience via Armslist. Every other transaction has been extremely pleasant, and you can even cover an FFL transfer if you want to be extra clean.