1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me a deer!

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Nov 11, 2018.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

These fuckin' things...If I've hit 1 deer in my life, i've hit 10. 2 in one week in a brand new Z71 about 20 yrs ago.

5:30 am, rainy, foggy on a 2, which turns to 4, lane S.R. that i call 'deer alley'. On any given evening, you can easily count 50+ deer on either side of the road in a 6 mile stretch...with about 10 roadkills this time of year.

Cruisin' at about 75 in my 02 CRV econo commuter car (80+ mile roundtrip), and there it was. I calmly grabbed the wheel with both hands, gently hit the brakes, closed my eyes and put my head down and to the right and......BAM!

Mutha f**kin' deer. So pissed... Car kept driving, had 1 light still, temps were good, had 3 miles to go to civilization. Parked it, called work, beat some metal and ripped some plastic off and headed back home for 12 miles.

Of course only liability. I want to fix it myself. Not sure if i have the patience. Needs a new header panel/radiator support, fender, hood, radiator, trans/oil cooler....$1000 in parts i'd say. Looks like the A pillar is tweaked between the windshield and driver door.

I wonder if i strip all the busted parts off, if a bodyshop would just cut out and weld in the header panel and whatever else needed metal work? At that point, i could reassemble everything.

Can't believe the hood latch still worked. It's a 1-owner (me being 2) car, i put new struts, and brakes/rotors all around it. Interior is perfect.

honda deer 1.JPG honda deer.JPG honda deer 2.JPG honda deer 3.JPG honda deer 4.JPG

2. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Poor thing, did you check for a pulse?

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He said it drove it home of course it had a pulse. About 1900 to 2300 bpm it you are driving normally.

ShadowBoxer and badmoon692008 like this.
  4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Animal abuse!

5. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Wow. That's some serious damage . I'd bet the damage is deeper than you think.

When metal bends it usually moves 1/3 more than it flexes back to. Same for trying to straighten.
    You may be able to find a shop to do the structural work but it will take some calling around.

Ian178 likes this.
  6. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

This would suck bad, I’ve been driving for almost 30 years and never have hit a deer. Almost hit one on my 02 R1 though.
    I’d be pissed if there’s that many deer going through there they need to allow them to be thinned out. Let the hunters at em and save some cars.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Had one run into the side of my Tundra last year, knocked the cap off the XD wheel in the front, that was the only damage, doe bounced off and took off back in the direction it came from.

8. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

[​IMG]

9. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Call a local shop and ask if they have a frame machine. If they don't I'm sure they would refer you to someone who does. I had one car straightened out that had some damage after an incident, I did the other repairs myself. It really wasn't that expensive either.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The deer population up here is a goldmine for the body shop guys.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nice buck?

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Did you at least cut the backstraps out of it? lol

Sorry about your luck. Buddy of mine hit one 2 years ago just as he was getting into hunting for the first time. I was teasing him about not posing for a pic with it. I said a first deer is a first deer lol. He still hasn't got one :)

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Did you at least cook it?

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dammit.

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Bro your ride is totalled... part it out and move on

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Cruising through "Deer Alley" at 75 mph, and you hit a deer.

Imagine that.

17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I've hit Deer before in my truck , almost no damage both times . That looks like you hit a Rino ... Damn :eek:

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

All depends how lucky or unlucky you are. My wife hit one not much bigger than a fawn a couple years ago, over $2000. Had a family in a van hit one, went completely thru the windshield and killed a teenage girl in the back seat.

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Jerky time!

418 likes this.
  20. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Deer bruise up very bad after an 80 mph hit.The meat is usually mush.I've hit 2 one in an f 150,tore it up pretty good.
    Tried to dress it out,but only got back straps.
    Second one hit my toyota tacoma in the door,and almost made it into my open window.That poor girl broke her neck
    and spun in the road until finally expiring .I had nothing to put her down with :(

Forgot to mention,most white tails are in the rut.
    They are coo-coo for puss right now,and chasing ladies around the clock,so be on the look out.