1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me some tire warmers.

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

So am I some perv that I'm gonna curl up with my new warmers tonight?

Been wanting a set for 10+ years just never had the Generator or extra cash. Always just kept it easy first lap.

I can't wait to ride again.

Bike arrives soon.

track wagon, Ducti89 and BigBird like this.
  2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Did you get a harbor freight generator that sounds like a Ducati dry clutch cranked to 11

track wagon and Prospect like this.
  3. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Pfft who wouldn't those things are amazing! So cheap and they sound like a race bike!

SO do you fellas clean the tire before putting the warmers on? Like brush them?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I just use my hand to brush off the pebbles. Your going to love them warmers.

Retriever15 likes this.
  5. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Woodcrafts made in the USA. Make America warm again?

So what happens if I plug them in with no tires just to warm my....

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Don't do it unless wrapped tight.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

They actually will try to make America warm again....for a while.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive heard in a pinch at a cold riders meeting... tire warmers work great for keeping your core
    and hands warm. The only caveat is that you must command road racing royalty to GTFA from a 120v outlet so you can plug in! :D

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Not sure of the OP is joking or serious with these questions. Warmers are great. You will ruin the warmers if you keep them plugged in after removing from tire. Costco is selling Yamaha generator for $500 that is 1600watts. Super quiet, light, and reliable. Seems silly but I got faster after I invested in high quality tire warmers (chicken Hawk Pro). It was all about getting more accurate tire pressure settings. A couple of PSI can really change the feeling in the tires and having good warmers that get the tire close to operating temperatures was key. I had cheap warmers for a couple years and were setting pressures when the tires werent at the temperature I thought they were.

Plus you can rail right out of the pits!

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Honda EU2000i.

deepsxepa, Razr and gixxerboy55 like this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yes, just using a gloved hand brush away pebbles and debris off the tire before putting the warmers on. There's a point to doing this, its not simple to keep your warmers from getting dirty. You want the inside surface of the warmer to be in complete contact with the tire surface, you don't want any pebbles or junk to be pushing the warmer away from contact with the rubber as the warmer will develop hot/burn marks in those areas.

Not sure if serious here or just joking but, you'll destroy them depending on how long you leave them turned on. They are designed to develop heat into the tire/wheel they are mounted too. If they're not in contact with a tire to transfer heat into then the heating element will get too hot and wreck them.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good warmers and an awesome genny, you should drop a couple seconds a lap.

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

This process worked for me:

When you return to your pit after being on the track, take a small brush (like you use to wash your car wheels) to clean the tire surfaces (why get your nice gloves dirty?). Then immediately re-install your tire warmers, but don't plug them in. Your tires will cool gradually, and your warmers won't get damaged. At the proper time before your next session, plug the warmers back in to get the tires back up to temp before getting back on the track.

I also used a power strip with lighted switch specifically for the warmers only, so that I had a visual reference to indicate is they were getting power. It also doesn't hurt to put a hand on ~both~ tires every once in a while, to really make sure of their status.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Why?

One of the reasons you use warmers is to prevent your (race) tires from going through repeated heat cycles throughout the day, repeated heat cycles is what causes the rubber to outgas/dry up/etc. The process you've detailed above negates one of the primary reason for using the warmers in the first place.

When you come into the pits, brush the tire off, put on the warmers and turn them back on (you can leave them on low rather than full heat until you are getting close to going back out again). If you do this properly your tires will only go through one heat cycle for the duration of the day rather than multiple ones if you're allowing them to cool down and then heat back up over and over through the day as you described above.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Another tip:

Start by putting the strap of the warmer through the wheel on the spoke close to the valve core. That way when you come back later to check pressure, the wheel will already be in the proper spot.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah you probably want to periodically check the outlets/source to make sure your warmer can draw all the power (watts) it needs. Sometimes one of the outlets fail or the construction of the splitter is not that robust that the constant tossing around does them in.

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Woodcraft warmers do not need to be unplugged from the extension cord when not in use. Just don’t forget to reconnect that extra turn-on cord after u install them.

Do not use the edge of the warmer to wipe the tires clean. The edge will get destroyed after a few weekends.

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

How do you know that ;)