1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 F350 7.3 idle/run issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by backbone, Nov 8, 2018.

1. backbone

backbone scarred for life

This just happened this morning for the 1st time.

I started the truck and let it idle for a few seconds then I hit the gas pedal to rev up a little and it died immediately. It is only about 70 degrees out. Next time I let it idle for about 30 seconds before doing the same thing and it died again. It starts right up BTW. Then I let it idle for several minutes and hit the gas and it seemed fine.

I drove to the store about 2 miles away and went inside for a few. It did the same thing when I came back out. I let it idle for a while and then was able to drive off. I haven't touched it since I got to work. Any ideas of what it may be? This is my 1st diesel so I haven't a clue

2. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Probably the loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat and yes I stalks u:Putter:sorry no helpful advice?? Oh wait ask your friend vfr52 he might can point u in the wrong direction :confused:

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Could be either a supply pump issue or a high side oil pressure problem....
    Need to put a scanner on it and look at oil pressure when its acting up.

backbone likes this.
  4. backbone

This guy stalks me!!! Comes by my shop and makes me smoke and drink!!!! Please help!!!! :P

5. backbone

Thanks, I'll check that.

6. Pkelly2020

Pkelly2020 Member

Crankshaft position sensor acting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I would be willing to bet it's the cam position sensor throwing a fit or your low pressure oil pump is worn out and not pumping enough oil to the hpop tank on start up.

tony 340 likes this.
  8. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I don't think 7.3s have a crank position sensor

tony 340 likes this.
  9. Pkelly2020

Pkelly2020 Member

I think you’re right. My 99 7.3 did something similar. It would start and idle, but if I touched the “gas” peddle, the engine would die.

Ford replaced a sensor in 5 mins and all was good. Maybe they said cam sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Cam position sensor.

emry likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Just an FYI...
    Cam position sensor is one of only two recalls the 2002 7.3 was issued. When it goes, you're stuck on the side of the road. Fortunately, it's not too labor intensive and some 7.3 owners carry a spare sensor in the glovebox.
    The other is for the CC/Brake relay. Don't do it and the potential outcome is an electrical fire.

emry likes this.
  12. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I have a 2002 7.3
    The cam position sensor is a quick easy DIY fix for about $25.
    The other possible issue that hasn't been mentioned is the accelerator pedal. They do go bad on these trucks.
    Get a new one at Rock Auto.
    I hope it's not the HPOP.
    Let us know.

drop likes this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Cam sensor.
    Always carry a spare in your glove box and a 10mm wrench

emry likes this.
  14. backbone

So, I took it to a shop and they said it was going to be $800 ($600 labour) for a fuel rail and a fuel valve that were leaking. I said I'd come and get it. So I bought the parts and I'm going to do it myself. They said that was most likely the problem but they would need to do that first and leave it overnight to verify that this fixed the problem. I'll let y'all know after I install these parts.

15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Throttle pedal were for a while notorious for going bad. The sensor inside the assembly get insanely hot being mounted where it is.