1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300s vs sv650 track bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Ac1030, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Looking to purchase a track only bike. Trying to decide between a 300 or an sv650. I’m not looking to race I just want to improve my riding. My budget is around $4000-$4500. Any advice would be helpful. Would like for the bike to have at least some kind of suspension upgrade.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Since most track days aren't grouped on displacement I'd go for the SV or something like it.

track wagon and Ac1030 like this.
  3. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy a 300 unless I was racing it. The speed difference between it and a big bike is too great at a track day.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'll sell my SV for $4500.

With all the spare wheels and sh!t. :D

track wagon and Ac1030 like this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This all day long. Its quite dangerous, IMHO. I also think track day providers should automatically dissalow small 4 strokes from the fast group (not racers).

Ac1030 likes this.
  6. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

You could get a heckuva nice SV for $4500

vizsladog and Ac1030 like this.
  7. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

You can get a very well set up sv650 for that price, a 300 is going to be close to stock at that price. You will get more for your money with the sv650

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ac1030 likes this.
  8. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Pics?

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Is it clapped out ? That seems to be a thing. :D

5axis and Phl218 like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Has to be, they ALL are. :D

tecknojoe, Phl218 and rcarson15 like this.
  11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

SV for sure if you arent racing. To me the 300 stuff is just to slow tonride with other class bikes. The SV’s are fast enough its not a issue IMO.

12. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

It's not like people run into other people or anything :rolleyes:

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Find an SV with stock (or mostly stock) motor, upgraded and / or well set up suspension. Stock forks with emulators and any decent aftermarket shock is plenty good enough for track days. Budget for servicing the suspension. Crash worthiness is a bonus. I am considering picking one of these up myself for a backup bike / Summit Sheeny track bike / guest bike (got to set the hook for the next group of track riders).

14. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Been there done that. Started as a Novice on a Ninja 300. Good to learn on. But. Extremely dangerous, even in Novice. You just get waxed on the straights. Went to a 600. Scared me. Hurt my vagina a little. Went back to a R3 with the idea of racing. Too old and slow to have fun racing. Rode the R3 a couple times in Intermediate. Very scary. Got hit hard in the apex of a corner and knocked off the track. Didn't go down. Got lucky. Went back to a 600 as a Track Day bike only. I agree that a SV650 is a great choice for a track or race bike.

ToofPic and VFR#52 like this.
  15. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

I've got a super tricked out Ninja 300 with full suspension, exhaust, bodywork, etc for only $3200 obo. Never had an issue at a track day, other than passing R1's in most turns, and have them try to pass back in straights. . . .[​IMG]

John Hancock likes this.
  16. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i forget who posted this but it still makes me laugh
    ls650j.jpg

ineedanap, Ac1030, Razr and 3 others like this.
  17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

def the SV over the 300. trackday B-group just isnt fun on a 300 unless u have lots and lots of skill.

maybe if u had asked "400 vs SV" there'd be a little more to talk about.

18. Some do.

I had a buddy who was an Expert racer and pretty fast (he came up racing on a 750). He swapped to a 250 for a lil while and wasn’t allowed to ride in Advanced at track days...for good reason.

As others have said, it is too dangerous.

An SV is a much better choice for track days.

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I love it when the 125GP bikes show up.

E & F bikes don’t belong in advanced group unless your at the very pointy end of their capabilities. But, E&F bikes in nov or intermediate with an experienced rider are not unsafe and alot of times are a great cheap giggle fest.

20. I disagree, at least as far as the safety is concerned.

The thing is, they have to go somewhere. TD orgs won’t just ban 250/300s altogether, so they need to let them ride somewhere. But I disagree about the unsafe part.

If anything, there is potentially more danger in Nov and Int because they are surrounded by people on much faster bikes, that are inexperienced and may or may not have the skills, reaction times, etc to cope with suddenly approaching a rider going 40-70mph slower, or a rider who is (unexpectedly) taking drastically different lines and braking at different spots, or maybe not at all.

As long as people are riding in Nov and Int on Liter bikes, anyone who rides a small bike does so at their own increased risk.

Liter bikes these days can make 200hp with bolt-on parts and a tune. While all the fancy electronics can help if someone gets greedy with the throttle or brakes, they do fuckall when it comes to mitigating speed, line, and marker differentials.

I wish there was a way to have a separate group just for <400cc bikes, and maybe as they become more popular that will happen. In the meantime, you won’t catch me doing a track day on big track, on a little bike.

Wheel Bearing and rd49 like this.