1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NYC/NJ Peeps

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Nov 5, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Since it's travel time coming up, here's my question...

Heading up to Lancaster, PA to visit my son on the 16th. We're heading to NYC Saturday morning to hang out, catch a Rangers game then spend the night...coming back Sunday evening. I have no problem dropping the car off and taking the train into the city Saturday morning, but where is the best place?

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I'm a little green, sounds like a good time. Never been there. Enjoy.:beer:

3. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Wingnut likes this.
  4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If you're simply talking about driving as far as you can without having to drive into the city, then perhaps drive up to Jersey City and take the Path in. The trip from Jersey City to WTC only takes a few minutes. You could start downtown and work your way up to MSG. You might even be able to save a few $ for the hotel by staying in Jersey City. The 33rd St Path Station is a short walk from MSG.

rd400racer and BigBird like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Can't you get a Amtrak to Philly then change trains and take one to Penn station in downtown NYC. I used to take Amtrak from Exton to NYC in the same method

6. Pistol820

Pistol820 Well-Known Member

You have plenty of options for parking, you can park downtown Newark right across the street from penn station. Take Nj transit to the city it lets you off at a Madison Square garden that’s upstairs. In terms of spending the night just try to book a hotel that’s close to 34th and Broadway. Have a good time and be safe

BigBird likes this.
  7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Look for any of the Express routes running into Penn Station. You can find a town anywhere from Philly to Hoboken to park at.

I would recommend either New Brunswick or Red Bank NJ to jump on the train from. Red Bank is still kinda cool.

The train ride is about an hour from either of them into Penn Station. And once at Penn S just walk up the stairs to Madison Square garden.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:beer:

rd400racer likes this.
  9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I use the Park Whiz app and usually find decent pricing to park in the city. I honestly have not found weekend traffic in NYC to be that bad. I’d rather be in NYC than on the 405 in LA. So don’t be afraid to drive in the city would be my advice. Go park at or near the hotel you’re at and it’s much more convenient.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Go to Hershey and watch the Bears.

Pistol820 likes this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Man did you lose a bet or something. :D

12. rd400racer

Now that's low:moon:

:D

13. Sabre699

Hey man...they beat Buffalo sunday night. :D

rd400racer likes this.
  14. rd400racer

So we got a hotel room right across from MSG and tickets to the game. My wife found a site called bestparking.com and found a parking garage at 111 w 31st street that's $35 a day and takes reservations. Are we idiots to drive into the city this Saturday morning or am I making a big deal about nothing?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  15. Sabre699

Get your ass there and see the Panthers-Rangers game! :Poke:

16. rd400racer

The wife scored 4 tickets in 108/row6 with access to the Delta Sky Club from a vendor. We will be there! (got my Messier jersey packed:D)

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Yes, you are making a big deal about nothing. It's a major American city in 2018 - you don't need to be Snake Pliskin to get around the island at this point.

rd400racer and Monsterdood like this.
  18. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You'll also have a $10-$15 toll at the tunnels/bridges. I imagine your son has ezpass. Use it to skip the cash lanes. Trust Waze for the best way in. Since it's a Saturday, you might get lucky and find a free parking spot on the street. Hard to say how traffic will be leaving the city on Sunday. You might get lucky and it will go quick or you might be sitting in traffic for an hour. If it were me, I'd take a train.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I drive there all time time. Its not a big deal- especially on a weekend. Just pay for the parking and be done with it.

rd400racer likes this.
  20. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

:stupid: