1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler quality...??

Discussion in 'General' started by motomadman217, Nov 1, 2018.

1. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

No kidding. We went from a 60 gal. grey in the 5er that we never came close to filling to a 39 in the WP that we've filled twice this year after a 3 day weekend. But both campers had 110 gal. fresh... Have had to change our shower/dishes habit a little bit.
    Agreed. Love the shower!

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Livin Lite is officially out of business, from what I recently heard. No new units being built, and from what I understand ever since they were bought out by a larger RV company (Thor maybe?) their quality took a nosedive.

I did a ton of research prior to pulling the trigger on our ATC and am happy we spent the extra money and got a unit that is built like a brick shithouse rather than a stick and tin, especially since I store my trailer outdoors when not in use. That fact that I know there isn't a single solitary fiber of plywood is a HUGE weight off my mind, and ATC proudly allows people to tour their factory and see the amount of work that goes into building each of their units.

Did I pay a significant premium? Yes. Do I ever question my decision? Not once.

As others have mentioned, cozying up inside your trailer and having a nice hot shower at the end of the day is quite spectacular........and the memories I've already created with my family over the last two years I've owned it has been worth every penny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  3. NemesisR6

A peek behind the skin as to just how robust these trailers are built. Notice the trussed roof members.....

22256745_10155193050143246_996634185014982195_o.jpg

TurboBlew, Phl218 and MELK-MAN like this.
  4. t11ravis

Beautiful. :cool:
    I just couldn't quite make myself pony up the extra $.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  5. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Much easier to cheap out up front then complain later ;)

t11ravis likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes. ATC is one of the "Cadillac of Trailers" companies. A plant manager i deal with at another company used to manage a plant there. ATC does things "right". Hence the price difference. Right vs typical Indiana Meth or Amish slapped together with OSB, staples and Luan plywood is not insignificant.

Also whatever you buy, make sure you check and reseal all the joints after a couple years. Since the RV guys only give a 1-2-3 yr warranty, that typically about how long the cheap sealant they use on the seems lasts. Except the roof. They glomp the hell out of the roof cause many give a 10-12year roof warranty.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. t11ravis

story of my life! :crackup:

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

What kind of track system is that? Specific to the ATC build options or what? Curious if you still had to drill a hole through the floor for the TRS or are those just studs attached to the track itself?

NemesisR6 likes this.
  9. NemesisR6

It is standard L-track (logistic track) that is an option on ATC units. Runs nearly the entire length of the floor. I fabbed up a custom mounting plate out of aluminum that mimics the standard plate that is supplied with a Pitbull TRS, then mounted it to the L-track using double-stud lugs. Extremely secure and didn't require me to drill through the extruded aluminum flooring. Plus I can move the mount all around the entire length of track inside the trailer to distribute weight or make room for more gear/bikes/etc.

10. t11ravis

Adjustable TRS plate... awesome.

R/T Performance and NemesisR6 like this.
  11. NemesisR6

Thanks! One of those rare occasions where one of my ideas had results that outperformed my expectations.....;)

12. t11ravis

:crackup:
    Well done. :beer:

13. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

That's OK.....I didn't post it for you! :crackup:

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What kinda GVWR on the trailer are ya lookin' for and how many $$?

I've spent considerable time looking at toy haulers. While they all have similar attributes, some brands do things better than others. One brand that stood out in my info gathering adventures was Jayco. They seemed to do everything better.

15. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

I had a Forest River 5th Wheel Toy Hauler biggest piece of ever owned had it less year I took it back to the dealer. Bought a sportsman by KZ 5th Wheel Toy Hauler and blew a tire every trip. Ended up being a suspension issue. Traded that one in on a Heartland Cyclone and so far love it no issues

16. bjs8579

bjs8579 Well-Known Member

That was me. I haven't had any issues with mine, and I've had it for a little over a year. It's a 2017 29HFS.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

nice. time for me to put that spool gun to work!

18. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, i think we are going to go with a Work and Play or a ATC.

t11ravis, R/T Performance and Phl218 like this.
  19. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

I am also looking for a toy hauler and gravitating towards a horse trailer manufacturer.

Full aluminum construction and 5000-6000 pound payload capacity so you are not running them loaded to the max all the time.

20. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I think I read that Work & Play are being discontinued.