1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Engine Stand - What do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schwiz, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

My local mechanic has a really nice engine stand that mounts to the engine using the long bolts (2 - they are over a foot long) that mount the engine to the frame. I wish I would have asked him where he got it the last time I saw him. All the engine stands that I've seen available are oriented for cars and don't utilize the same mounting mechanism.

There's a guy on YouTube that fabricated some L brackets and mounted them to a cheap Harbor Freight car engine stand. I might go down this route if I can't find one specifically for motorcycle engines.

Are there stands available for purchase that are oriented for motorcycle engines?
    What have you guys used or make-shifted to mount your engines to perform service? Post a pic!

I'll be tearing down my R6 motor and sorting through it during the off season and want to move my setup into my basement where its nice and toasty.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I make R6 stands. Search Facebook for RM Racing. Or PM me and I’ll send you photos.

3. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

^ Right I would probably go with RM Racing's stands.
    Cause you or someone will have to build one as you mentioned.

Also depends on how tight of a budget you are on and what kind of time you have for trial and error.

Building one, unless you have a source for stock metal materials and a good welder on hand, good fabrication skills and lots of time it will probably be cheaper and easier going with RM Racing.

Example, if this was my R6 and I was going to build one on a if I can even save $100's budget over buying one.
    I have a source for metal(get it for 25 cents by the pound) and a welder, but I would have to do it out of steel as right now I am not set up to weld aluminum well enough I would trust a engine on it for months at a time. So this means I would have to seal it with something to avoid it rusting and looking like crap. Also not super portable(like to the track)

If I did it with no welding or very minimal welding out of aluminum, with lots of planning of cross member supports like steel threaded rods with lock nuts, etc. and unless I can find pieces in the right size and thickness it could take months to gather the materials to build it on the cheap.

The motors I have dropped I used one or a couple of old motorcycle tires on one of those dolly's similar to a furniture moving dolly with the casters/wheels on it. Soft mount, cradled the engine well enough and let me move it around, now it was on the floor so not at an ideal level for sitting on a high stool or standing to work on it, but it got the job done. Works great for top end, side cases can be tricky at times, used a couple of 2x4's and some re-positioning on the tire to get it at the right angle
    I was able to sit on a mechanics roller stool though to work on it.

Last GSXR750 motor I dropped I thought about building a stand for it, but once I started to plan it out, decided I did not want to spend that much time on it and retreated to the tire and dolly method considering I was on a time crunch.

4. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I just saw your stand for 2017 GSXR 1000.
    How can I get one and how much?

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the one RM makes is pretty nice.
    Makes it so you can leave a fully buttoned up (spare) engine in it and
    transport to a race track near you. Loads up near perfect on a standard package dolly.

The traditional car engine stand works too. Just not as portable or precise. Will require you to
    make a plate with spacers. Only advantage is the ability to spin the engine around.

If you have the ability to fabricate... you can make one with square tubing.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Just send me a PM.