1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer hauling question

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

The roads near my house are hilly and have some deep-V creek crossings, and there are a few sharp angle change entering my property. I've read that steep angle changes like this combined with a weight distributing hitch can overstress the trailer frame and eventually cause cracking or bending. Current trailer is a 24' toyhauler, pulled with a 1 ton pickup, using the Equalizer (bar-type) weight distributing hitch.

We are starting to look into a newer toyhauler, would a 5th wheel be better for dealing with these sharp up/down angles? Is there a type of hitch that is more able to handle the terrain? Or is the whole frame-stress thing exaggerated? We have not had any problem with the trailer frame but it is obvious that it puts a lot of stress on it in certain places on the drive and we HAVE had some issues with the weight distributing bars, including shearing off a bolt.

Stopping to loosen the hitch bars before entering the hilly area is not really a practical solution, although that is what I have seen recommended. Any other ideas? Is there a more forgiving hitch or better overall setup we could consider?

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Bridgestone air bags on truck.

3. Hotfoot

Not sure I understand how this would help, are you suggesting I add those and get rid of the weight distributing hitch completely? The truck handles the tongue weight easily, we really just have the Equalizer hitch to keep the trailer straight and stable on the freeway at high speeds. To be clear, I am not trying to handle turning issues, just up/down angles like coming down off a steep hill onto a flat road or crossing a deep ditch crossing where the truck is going up while the trailer is still going down, the stabilizer bars limit the angle and more or less lift the whole front of the trailer, which also causes the back end of the trailer to drag sometimes.

4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

In general the 5th wheel is going to sit higher, so you'll have far more clearance on the ass end of the trailer (I did with my old 5th wheel compared to my current BP). As far as structural concern, I have no idea, I'm not an engineer. if you do get a 5th wheel, get the Trailair hitch. Greatest thing ever invented. Almost want to go back to a 5th wheel just for the ease of hooking up and black and white ride quality difference.

5. Cam Morehead

Why are you using a weight distribution hitch if the truck handles the tongue weight fine. If you are referring to a "anti-sway" bar, that has nothing to do with the distribution bars. Two completely different components accomplishing two totally different things.

6. Hotfoot

Hm, good question - we are using the Equalizer Hitch System and it does both, it is an anti-sway and a weight distributing hitch system. Could be that I could look into a different type of anti-sway for the next trailer.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

7. Cam Morehead

Ahh.... Yeah. That is a new hitch design to me. I have a system that has 2 distribution bars and 1 sway bar. Each can be used independently.

8. Hotfoot

It is all I have ever used so the separate-component idea was new to me. The Equalizer works great and is fast and easy to connect and disconnect, however now that we live in an area with so much terrain it may very well make more sense to just use a stand-alone anti-sway device, after reading your post I looked for options online and seems like that could work, thanks for the idea and the education. :)

Cam Morehead likes this.
  9. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Going to thread jack here as a PSA... It is so vital to have sway control... was just coming back from Barber this past weekend and saw this guy blow pass me towing an RV (I’d bet 85-90mph). His RV was pretty tall and seemed like a little much for his 1/2 ton, but it was swaying and bucking left and right the whole way after I saw him... this is what happened next, sad sight that I saw coming miles away.... https://www.wkrn.com/news/traffic/messy-multi-vehicle-crash-ties-up-i-65-in-franklin/1523146969

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Read your manuals and make sure your truck can handle the RV and vise versa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Cam Morehead

Well let's build on this. I see very few people that know how to properly set their brake controller also. Check your tires, replace every 5 years. Pull your camper to the scales and make sure you haven't overloaded it. Lots of "ignorant" folks out there. Not stupid, just ignorant. I prefer gooseneck trailers over any style hitch. I am anal about bearings, hubs, tires, tire pressure, weight distribution, brakes, brake controller, lights, etc.... Do a "pre trip" inspection.

TLR67 and maslov like this.
  11. joec

joec brace yourself

Saw this yesterday... KIMG0944.JPG

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What are those small blocks of wood for?

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Second trailer's lights don't seem to be operational. Other than that it looks fine.

Just don't get into someplace that you need to back out of unless you like unloading, unhitching and then pushing your gold cart trailer then hitching, and loading it again after you back out.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And where did that screw fall out of?

And is that a Paper Mate?

15. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

For max articulation you want a gooseneck.

Hotfoot likes this.
  16. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

20 cents and a needle for filling balls with air?

17. joec

joec brace yourself

Lol.. Yes to papermate. It's my go to for cheap shop writing. It's a little tiny blow gun attachment.. The screw is a stainless #14 philips tech screw. Don't know why I have it. Yes random loose change. The blocks of wood are stampings with Braille that have my cats name and date with "food" on one small block and "water" on the other small block. They were for anegama fired ceramic bowls I had made for his food dishes a few years ago. That's just where they ended up.