1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let’s talk gun safes

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Oct 15, 2018.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Looking at different gun safes that could be bolted down in my garage. Hypothetically speaking, if I had 6 long guns (2 with optics) and 3 handguns (not that I do have any) but wanted enough room for my collection to potentially double over time and hold all the extra gear (mags, ammo, holsters, etc.), what would you suggest? I’ve looked at some 24 gun safes but even that seems like it wouldn’t have enough room once all the extras are added. But going bigger just feels silly when looking at the numbers. I’d like something fairly modular as well so I could set it up how I want. Budget would be around $1500. Don’t care about biometrics and really would like as little electronics as possible. I like old fashioned shit. Theres a ton out there and only a small portion of it is available locally so I may buy online but hate dropping that kinda coin on something sight unseen without someone else vouching for it first. Whatcha got?

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I have a Cabelas branded Liberty.
    There was a video posted a few years ago in a similar thread that gives you all the info you need, I'll try to find it.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I need one bad but every time I'm ready to buy I end up using the money for another gun:D

wsmc42 and terminus est like this.
  4. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I would look into a Liberty Fatboy Jr. model. Seems like a solid bang for the buck. And technically those are all Residential Security Containers.

5. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

+1 on the cabelas branded liberty, I have the largest one they make and I am full up. Assault rifles and long guns with optics should be counted at 2.5 guns, what ever you think you need double it and you should be good for several years. I am about 15 - 20 long arms and full due optics and assault weapons. It’s a 48 gun safe.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've heard whatever you choose get the next bigger.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Glad I'm not alone. :D

rd400racer likes this.
  8. redtailracing

How modular are liberty safes? I had been leaning towards a browning because they seemed to be very customizable but everyone saying liberty has me reconsidering.

9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I wouldn't put a gun safe anywhere that it is exposed to humidity. They rust easily and so do guns. Depending on your area of the country I might rethink putting it in the garage.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  10. redtailracing

I live in the southeast so humidity is a legitimate problem. Didn’t realize a good safe would rust that easily and figured it would be sealed well enough to keep humidity from being an issue on the inside. Learn something new everyday.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You must put humidity controls on the interior. I use a heated stick type and a gel type. Together they do OK, no problems so far. Mine is in the basement where humidity can be a problem.

Photo likes this.
  12. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

+1, i use a heated stick type (Goldenrod) that requires a wall outlet nearby, or ext. cord. I dont have the humidity issue as bad as the south but i still keep the inside nice and dry with the rod on the floor and the dehumidifying beads (Beads) on an upper shelf.

Photo likes this.
  13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Gun safes are a great idea fro keeping the kids safe and your guns away from casual inspection. Just don't expect them to be burgler proof...resistant at best.

Knotcher likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Are these safes like trailers? I shoulda got a bigger one. :D

Heat sticks...yup.

I think I have seven long guns standing, without touching each other, in my 20-ish(?) safe. I can't see how much more of a pain in the ass it would be to try to get one individual gun out without removing others first if I added more guns to the picture. Prolly doesn't help that a few of them really take up room with their pistol-grip stocks, optics, etc. Part of the joy of it all tho', figurin' out how to pack your safe. Do I do it to have immediate access to a particular firearm, put them in order of caliber, physical size, etc? In my "what could be called a decent size safe", width of a stair well x 6', I pack however they fit...kinda not ideal.

I think modular is a good thought.

15. redtailracing

Good call. I’ve actually seen that stuff before and just forgot about it. But will definitely go this route

16. redtailracing

Kids are part of it. Expecting our first right now. And I know to some degree, any safe can be broken. But I don’t live in either the projects or a multimillion dollar subdivision. Pretty middle class around here. Unless I’m under the extremely wrong impression, I wouldn’t think most home burglars are gonna have the skill to crack a safe and if they do, what’s the chance they can do it quickly enough. My thought is they’re there to get in, get what they can grab fast, and get out. Bolted down safe seems like a lot of work for someone who’s probably in a hurry.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Get as big as you can afford. As for garage installation, I wouldn't. Too easy for someone to see if the door is open. Basement if you can.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Just like a garage / shop, you'll always fill it.

19. redtailracing

No basement.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Closet.