1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R3 questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Ac1030, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

What is everyone’s thoughts on the other 300s compared to the R3?

2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

If you're just going to start with trackdays I'd keep the FZ07 personally. Trackdays are terrifying with noobs blasting zx10s down the front straight and parking it everywhere else. Closing speeds are terrifying. FZ07 makes it slightly less so than an R3. Plus you already own it and are most likely comfortable on it. Just an opinion. Suit up and ride it .

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

I just don’t want to crash this one. I’d rather sell it and buy something I’m more comfortable crashing. My last track day I did it on my old cbr that I wanted to sell. It was a horrible track day, I was going so slow because I was afraid of crashing it.

4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Got ya, that's understandable. Can't argue with that.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Sell the FZ and get an SV650. You can get one nicely set up for $2500. It is way cheaper and there are more available than an R3. It also will be a better bike for track days since there will not be as big of a speed difference with the rest of the bikes out there. Plus, there are more spares available cheaper for the SV than anything else out there. If you are used to the power and characteristics of the FZ then you will be happy with the SV.

6. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

For your budget...you will find more SVs in that range than R3s. Great thing with the SV is that you will grow into it. You can double that cost of entry for a similarly set up R3 right now.

7. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Well it looks like I’m starting to lean towards the sv.... any recommendations on year, mileage, etc. Are people here pretty honest when it comes to selling their bikes?

8. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I know a guy selling a clapped out 03...

I believe the recommendation is generally 04-06 SVs. The second generation started in 03 but the 03 has a few one-off parts (subframe and seat) and a couple of 1st gen parts in the engine. In 07 the engine grew an extra couple of sparkplugs which some folks like and others don't like.

As for the honesty of bike sellers on here, I am the most honestest person I've ever heard of.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  9. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

What does this clapped out sv look like?

10. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Start with the R3

You can get a salvaged R3 for a decent price, take a lot of crap off, new body work, a set of .85 springs (how much you weigh?) in the front with 15w oil (same as 2nd gen sv ). A kawi ex650R rear shock from ebay. All this if lucky enough to get a cheap salvage R3, under 3k, maybe 2k...

Track day it and then get a twin and then step up to a 600.

11. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Tbh I’m not a big fan of how the sv looks lol. I would like an r3, but it’s pricey and just on suspension I would be spending 1500 or more

12. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Seriously dude, what I just said about suspension, it's maybe a 100 bucks and I did a 39 at Barber.

13. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Yeah but you are Chris Parish lol

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Which means that suspension is getting a serious workout.

WANABE RACER likes this.
  15. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

My bad I just realized that, sorry.
    I am trying to lean towards the Sv because it’s the bigger bike but it’s not convincing me, I don’t really like the look of it. I would really like the R3, if I can do cheap suspension mods like you said then I would definitely get an R3. (I weight 152 lbs)

16. Dak

Dak Active Member

I did this exact (to the T) thing and was about to type the same bit.

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Which gen SV are you looking at?

Honestly, if looks are the only thing stopping you, there are likely few types of bodywork that haven’t been grafted onto an SV. Don’t let that stop you.

18. Chango

Chango Something clever!

There are pictures in the for sale thread I linked, but imagine a flat black, spray painted 03 SV and you won't be far off. But it has Andreani cartridges in the forks, and an Öhlins shock.

19. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Where you located? I have an R3 for sale that is stock w/salvage title 2800 miles. Bike is straight and runs awesome. $1900 and it's yours. In GA.

Some front fork work (springs and oil) and an R6 rear shock conversion all for $500ish and you will have a great little handling machine!

Ac1030 likes this.
  20. sv125

sv125 New Member

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread but I would like to ask a question about the EX650R shock. I have a 2016 R3 that I have tracked a few times so far (had a blast of course). I was considering new rear shock (like the OP mentioned) but see that the used kawi shock is a much cheaper route. Is there any special year to select? It looks like the 2009-2011 shock is the one to consider (DAK or Ghetto)? I found a 2011 for $60 shipped which seemed decent?

Also, for the OP, I bought my 2016 R3 in June and have three track days on it. It's a ton of fun. I also just bought a 2018 MT-07 a couple weeks ago which is my street bike. I like your choice of bikes :). By the way, I just started riding in May of this year so my opinions are of no real value compared to what the others are saying.