1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heated gloves question

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

This is my favorite time of year to be a street rider in Michigan. Most people are putting their bikes away, but I'll keep commuting on the ZX10 daily until there's snow on the ground.

I need to replace my gloves. I have some battery powered mobile warming brand ones that aren't super warm, but work good enough for 35 degree nights. One of the battery packs crapped out last year so I'm looking for new gloves.

With battery tech getting so advanced, it seems like battery powered would be the way to go? Or is hardwired to the bike still the gold standard? Anybody have a good suggestion for a set of cold weather gloves that doesn't suck. I don't mind spending the $$$ if I have to.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Gerbing. Still a great product. And you can get battery packs as well as use them wired to the bike.

The guy that started gerbing has also opened a new company, but I can’t remember the name of it.

beac83 likes this.
  3. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

+1 on gerbing I have one of their electric vest for hunting it’s 5 years old going strong, I use thee hell out of it I’m late season in pa doing at least 20 to 30 days a year.

4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Gerbing G3. Gerbing. Gerbing. Gerbing. I love mine along with a full jacket liner and Aerostich suit. I can ride into the 20s no problem on a naked bike.

Hardwiring is that way to go. You don't want to run out of juice when it's cold out there or have to deal with recharging, or cutting back on temps to save the battery enough to get home. Highly recommend a variable temp controller also...sometimes the bake/off switch is just not that convenient.

I'd also consider installing some sort of wind break for your hands as well. That will go a long ways in keeping your digits warmer.

Don't winch on the price either...after one ride in the cold with warm digits...you won't care what they cost.

5. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

So I guess I should get Gerbing. :)

So I want to try to find a glove that fits under my coat sleeve, since I ride in the rain a lot and a normal gauntlet fills up with water at stoplights. It looks like the Gerbing Hero would fit the bill. Anybody have these? Do I have to buy a controller too, or can I just get a Y harness and power harness?

This is the one I'm talking about. https://www.gerbing.com/mens-hero-gloves

6. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Those would be fine I'd bet. Yes, you need some sort of controller. I'd consider getting a wireless controller as well...might as well get a dual so when you add a heated liner of some sort you will be all set.

This is what I have and been using for several years now. Heat-troller makes some nice stuff.
    https://firstgear-usa.com/dual-remote-control-heat-trollerr-kit.html

7. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

got a vintage pair of AGV thinsulate(3m) gloves off ebay recently. warm enough for 40 ish in GA
    rsz_20181014_163722.jpg

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Another vote for Gerbing. I have a full 2pc suit, socks & gloves I've worn while riding in low 20F temperatures. Great stuff.