1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R3 questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Ac1030, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Hi, I’m new to the Forums. I was wondering where I could make a post asking questions about R3’s.
    Thank you

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Here is fine... what are your questions?

3. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

I was thinking about selling my fz07 in order to buy a track only R3. Street riding has gotten super boring. I was just wondering if it would be possible to find one for around 3500, with some extras already on it. Or would it be better to try to find a cheap R3 and then go from there? Only problem is that just on suspension it would be around 1500, since I’ve heard OEM suspension is bad.
    Thx

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

There have been a couple on here and on the Facebook marketplace. You could probably find on that is a bit older with no spares for about that.

5. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Spares?

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Spare parts that will likely break during a crash

Ac1030 likes this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Spare parts to have on hand when you DO crash.

Ac1030 likes this.
  8. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

What would you guys recommend as necessary upgrades for an R3 track bike (Apart from tires). This will just be a bike for track days and learning. No racing.

9. britx303

Seat time.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  10. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

More track time. Then once YOU get faster, see what the bike needs. But yes, tires will be a must.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  11. britx303

And a good coach that races small bikes. An amateur racer thats only ever raced a gsxr1000 will not be a good coach to teach you.........bear that in mind when you start looking at the TD coaches,if you dont go to a race specific school. Thats my 2 cents.

12. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Yes I understand that there is no substitute for seat time. I was just wondering because most people I’ve talked to have suggested I upgrade the suspension from the beginning and that it will help me in the long run and possibly lessens the chances of a crash.

13. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Sounds like a good plan.

14. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

That's how it starts. Don't be surprised when you start thinking about getting a race license. :)

britx303 likes this.
  15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

The R3 is a hot commodity right now because it’s a competitive bike in many race classes. If you’re wanting a learner first. Look for a Ninja 250 or 300, you can get a more preped bike with more spare for the same money. While learning nearly the same corner speed and -5mph or so terminal velocity.
    But, why not use your FZ07?

WANABE RACER likes this.
  16. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Or a clapped out SV650?

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

Haha maybe one day, for now I just want to learn.

18. Ac1030

Ac1030 Member

I thought about using my fz, but I don’t want to throw more money at it honestly. I don’t like the suspension on it. I figured for the price of what I sell my fz I can find an R3 for the track and maybe have some money left over. But realistically can I find an R3 track bike for 3500, or should I plan to spend around 4000-4500?

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

A search thru the clasified will give you an idea of prices. R3’s are going to be the most expensive of the baby bikes. There was a well preped 250 in Huntsville a month ago for $1100

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You can find nicely setup SV's for your price. An SV is low enough horsepower, you can learn good habits on them too, plus with a bit more power you will probably have more fun at a trackday.