1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Energy Cup 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Oct 12, 2018.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

RV2 has come out of retirement to race. Who you got? I'm think El Hombre's got this one....

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 4.29.38 PM.png

ajcjr likes this.
  2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

He's gonna get eaten alive....

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What is Monster Energy Cup?

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

big $$$ MX race

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Cool, thanks.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Didn't that use to be the final round of the Supercross championship? Or am I totally confused?

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not quite...

"In addition to points races, the U.S. Open of Supercross was an invitation-only race held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas from 1998 to 2009, featuring a US $100,000 purse for the event winner. Since 2011, the Monster Energy Cup is held at the Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. A US $1.0 million purse is available to the rider who wins all three featured races. Ryan Villopoto won the inaugural 2011 event as did Marvin Musquin in the 2017 edition"

The final race of the Supercross series has been held in Las Vegas for many several years now.....then, several months later in the year the Monster Energy Cup is also held in Vegas. Its a one time event just for the money, no points towards any series.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Got it. Thanks.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I saw this at the MGM about 8 Years ago... Before it went to Sam Boyd... Great Event...

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

When is it

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Saturday the 13th.

Basically a one off race that's a bit more like SX but has some MX added in (not quite as "jumpy" and usually has some longer straights, more turns, etc). A fair amount of top riders show up, because it's big money. There are three races, if one racer wins all three races, they get $1m. The first year, Villipoto won all three and $1m, and Marvin did it last year. The overall winner even if they don't win all three will still win $100,000 so there's that too.

The fun thing is they add in the "joker" lane to the races where the riders have to hit that section at least once in the race, or they get docked a lap at the end. Surprisingly a few of the top riders have gotten into he heat of the battle and missed the joker lane, and didn't get a shot at the big money (Dungey did it, as well as RV).

Lots of people look at this race as a bit of a preview of what the teams are doing for SX, and some riders use it to try to get a ride for the next year. either way its usually good racing and fun to watch.

there are also two amateur races sprinkled in the middle of the races.

maybe I missed it but I didn't see Jason Anderson on the entry list. But then again I didn't see RV on there either.

definitely worth watching live or DVR.

13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

RV will podium if not win. He was an alien of dirty bikes. If he rides 90% of his potential, that is more than most guys out there.

14. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Still feels weird to see RVP on a blue bike.

I'll guess top 5 overall with a podium a very real possibility.

What's it been now - 3 years since he retired?

gt#179 likes this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Roczen will crash and hurt himself if history is any predictor.....wait, is he even racing this event?

16. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

ET3 for the trifecta!

TLR67 likes this.
  17. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

RV has been doing the 125 all star races this year. I'm pretty sure he hasn't remotely lost his edge, pretty confident he will be right in the mix.

18. six6two

six6two AWD

The dude has been putting in the work. They're not sending him there to be 'right in the mix'

ajcjr likes this.
  19. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I doubt he is going there as a filler.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, it looks like Tomac is the only one who can win the million now :D

TLR67 likes this.