1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golf club question

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I am not a purist and don’t absolutely love the game but I got the message clear from El Jefe that I need to pick up the sticks again to play nice with customers.

I played in HS and was barely OK. By comparison how much better are the the new golf improvement clubs vs my 845’s and ping eye 2’s collecting dust in the shed?

2. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

The average club and ball combination has likely gained 20 yards in the hands of an average golfer in the last 50 years. The average score has not changed much at all.

mike-guy likes this.
  3. Hyperdyne

Clearly not enough IMHO to waste money on a new set of I can’t break 40 on the front nine.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Is play it again sports still around? That's your first stop if it is. Used to be Golf clubs up the wahzoo.

5. Hyperdyne

It is. Funny enough they have one near me

6. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

PIS is definitely the way to go. Or GolfWRX.

The playability, feel and forgiveness of the new clubs is great but it all still comes down to fundamentals.

Considering, on average, about 54 shots a round are made from within 100 yards, the most gains to be found are with a putter and your wedges.

7. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

It's not the clubs. It's the clubber. Pro's can beat us using one club.

t11ravis likes this.
  8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

as stated above, club and ball technology has improved vastly in 20 years, but you will still score pretty much the same if you havent been working on your game.

dust off and your old clubs, they will be discussion topics with your clients.

on the woods- newer woods will be much easier to hit than whatever you have in the bag... bigger sweet spot, more forgiving on mis-hits etc. and you may have long irons in your bag rather than hybrids/rescues that will also be easier to hit if you are a 100 plus guy. not necessary but just a thought.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

:stupid:

10. Hyperdyne

Thanks fellas..

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Just to have more fun, it’d be worth it to invest in some late model woods and irons. Even though you may not score better, you’ll hit it further which is always fun :beer:

12. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

Irons and wedges are not very different but anything with a head is much improved from that time period.

13. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I still hit the ball farther and score better with my clubs that I played with in highschool 20 years ago than my friends who have bought the latest and greatest to take advantage of the technology. YRMV :D

t11ravis likes this.
  14. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I will advice to go try some different shafts for your driver though. I can’t hit a driver unless it’s a stiff shaft. Some of the heavier clubs with regular flex feel like a banana when you swing them. But besides that like everyone said irons are irons. Idk if it’s been mentioned but I think most sets dropped the 3 iron and replaced it with an approach wedge.

15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Because the courses have been lengthened accordingly.

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Hype, I have a set of Hippo Giants, graphite I think, that I'd sell cheap.

17. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

This is what I was gonna say... I played an old course not long ago and most par 4’s were drivable with a 3 wood.

18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Dude the 845s are still hard to be.. fantastic club.

I was a fairly good golfer 15 years ago with 845s. I didnt golf for a long time and when I got back into it I figured new clubs... 845s were just as good if not better. Still haven't decided between the new ones amd those so I kinda go back and forth.

Get them out, clean them up and probably regrip them if its been that long (I'm sure they are shot by now just with time) and go have fun.

19. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I've played with old shitty ass clubs in the past when I didn't have money for a modern newer set. From my experience, the newer clubs will give you a bit more length on your shots, but most importantly it's easier to be more consistent IMO. With the old clubs it was a real hit or miss for me. I was able to hit some really good shots, but then the next one would be terrible. They just had less room for error. I think it's worth buying something newer. Golf clubs depreciate a lot so you can get some really good deals on 2-year old clubs. The driver I have was $120 if I recall, it was 1 or 2 years old only and when it was new it had retailed for about $350.

Plus, part of it is image. If you're going out golfing with customers, you don't wanna be that guy with the old shitty clubs. They'll just give you shit the entire time, and they'll know you don't care at all about golf based on your clubs lol

EDIT: ok I just looked them up since I wasn't familiar with the model. Those aren't THAT old as what I was imagining. You'll be fine with the irons. Get a used halfway decent modern driver, putter, and a cheaper bag that's not all raggedy and you'll be golden!

20. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula