1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Subaru Outbacks - 05-09 3.0 H6 Specifically

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiller15, Oct 9, 2018.

1. I have nothing to add but I’m on my 3rd Subaru. I had a built bugeye wrx, a blob eye sti and I have an 18 wrx now. All were incredibly reliable, fun and I’m planning on buying an 18 or 19 outback for the wife in February. I love them.

2. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive got an "L" wagon.........my sisters like to f*ck with me and tell me it stands for Lesbian:crackup:Other than my 2000 tacoma, Its been the most reliable car ive ever had.......heading for 350K miles soon. Ive done the timing belt twice,and way over the milage suggested. Takes 2 hours tops,and with a very bare minimum of tools.

Tiller15 and rd400racer like this.
  4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

That 2.5 also comes out of the car in less than an hour too keep in mind. I think i've seen one 6 cylinder subbie out of about 500 4 cylinders ones. :D I doubt the coolant has much to do with the gasket failures, because they leak oil in the same manner, the gaskets just suck period. Most of our head gasket job on those are for oil leaks, not coolant. We have a fellow that has had about 5 of them and i think he's put over 250k on each of them, basically runs them into the ground untill we beg him to get something newer because we're sick of working on scabbing the damn thing together.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Are you really serious about the Superpoo? You could get a similar vintage Rav4 with a 270hp V6 (with a timing chain), 5-speed automatic, part-time AWD, and if you can find a Sport trim level it won't have the spare tire mounted on the back like a pretend Jeep. Granted, none of that matters if you prefer your MILFmobiles to attract lesbians...

ChemGuy likes this.
  7. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I've been in a few Rav4's of that vintage and they all felt like plastic garbage inside to me. I'm sure they'll run forever, but my interior seemed just like my 03 Focus. Even the Sport model doesn't have leather, sunroof, etc. that this Subie has. The Outback seems to fit the bill the best of any vehicle. I mountain bike so already have the roof rack to throw my bike racks/bikes on top. It has a very nice and well laid out interior with a YUGE moonroof. I also have some specific size requirements for it to fit in my garage. I actually found out an Accord Sedan and Pilot are too long to fit, so they're out. The Rav4 technically fits the requirements, except I don't care for the interiors AT ALL

8. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I owned a 2005 Legacy GT 2.5 turbo (same interior and body style as the Outback) for 10 years and it was very reliable until I installed a large turbo and doubled the horsepower output. The turbo motors are more finicky than the H6 motors.

Things to note:
    - The dashboard in those cars had a soft surface material that ends up becoming sticky to touch and eventually cracking . Subaru has allowed for one free dashboard replacement for every Legacy/Outback from those years (no mileage limit to get the dashboard warranty work).

- The front CV axle boots will dry rot and crack due to the heat generated by the motor/exhaust.

- The rear quarters are susceptible to rust at the wheel wells.

- Power steering pumps/racks are known to prematurely fail/leak.

- AC compressors were terrible in those cars and would explode forcing you to replace the compressor, lines and condenser.

- The upper radiator hose barb on the radiator is known to crack from age forcing you to buy a new radiator because the ends are plastic (not the only manufacturer to get these issues).

- Timing belt should be replaced every 90-100k to be on the safe side.

With all that said, I got rid of mine with 128k miles and the only issues my Legacy had (not related to me modifying the hell out of it) was the front axle boots cracked around 80k miles and I had the free dashboard replacement (which didnt form until 120k miles). I didn't baby the car either. I put an exhaust and tune on mine pretty much the next day after buying it and did 150+ passes down the drag strip and a bunch of autocrosses without issues. Also, make sure the one you buy has had the timing belt replaced recently as well.

The 05-09 Legacy/Outback is still my favorite Subaru body style.

9. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

This is great, Thank You! I also love the body style and dislike the more frumpy look of the newer gens. Luckily the 3.0 has a timing chain rather than a belt, but I will still keep an eye on the water pump.

This particular one I am working on buying does have the sticky dash (it has 113k). So Subaru will replace this dash regardless of owner/age of the vehicle? If so, I will certainly look into that! (EDIT: looks like the offer on the sticky dash replacement has expired, but I may still call a dealer about it)..

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I thought that was Mazda...

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I would call your local dealer and verify with the VIN from the car. I know that it is regardless of owner or mileage, but Im not sure on the dates. I had the replacement done in 2016 just before I sold the car.

12. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Not within your year range but since 3.0 cars are so rare I thought I would chime in. My wife's daily driver since 2011 has been an Outback with the 3.0, 140,000 essentially trouble free miles. Only non routine maintenance has been both rear wheel bearings. 3.0 engine has been known to burn some oil, ours has for quite a while now but is still less than 1qt/7500 miles. When we went looking I wanted the 3.0 & regular transmission to avoid the already mentioned 2.5 issues and cvt. We live on a dirt road in NY so this thing sees brine in the summer and road salt in the winter, still no corrosion to speak of. I really can't say enough good things about it when it comes to a daily driver to haul kids and run around on crap roads hauling skis, bikes, camping gear or whatever.

Not first hand but we have friends who also have 2 kids and they bought almost the identical car only with the 2.5 at the same time, theirs has a few more miles than ours. Essentially the same experience with the inclusion of having to do the additional 2.5 maintenance(timing chain, etc).

13. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

This is great! Yes, I feel lucky to have this one popped up so close to me (10 minutes from my house), as there are NONE worth looking at anywhere close to me. Plenty of 2.5 base models, etc. but no 3.0. I guess everyone is still driving those.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Ummm no. That's literally Mitsubishi, the garbage dump of vehicles. You've never seen a Subaru engine in a Chrysler anything. You've seen tens of thousands of Mitsubishi engines in them though. Honda>Toyota>Mazda>Subaru>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mitsubishi.

15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Huh. Mine has the sunroof and the one I looked at just before the one I bought (someone else bought it while I was driving to come look at it...) had leather. But, if you don't like the interior then that's that. *shrug*