1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Subaru Outbacks - 05-09 3.0 H6 Specifically

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiller15, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Looking at new (to me) vehicles in the $7-$9k range to replace my beater Focus hatchback. This will just be a normal daily driver and haul my mountain bike around on the weekends, drop the kids at daycare here and there. Maybe a few family trips if it turns out to work well. The ole Focus actually does the job fine, just ready to drive something a littler roomier and "nicer".

Been looking at Accords, Pilots, Camry's (all very blah blah blah but do the job). Have found a very nice 2007 Outback LL Bean edition. It has 113k, the 3.0 H6 motor, and overall very clean.

What do I need to look out for on these cars? I am not interested in the 2.5s at all with the known head gasket issues, and the H6 has a timing chain as apposed to belt. It seems they may like suspension bits (this is a southern car)?

School me, please! From what i'm reading, it's almost like this model is the Unicorn of the Outbacks that you want to have. Great motor in the H6, more power, actual 5 speed auto, VDC stability system, highest possible safety rating (2 little boys in the back seat)..

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My son had an 07 Subbie and they can take their overpriced/hyped up vehicles and shove them up their a#*. Something was always going wrong with it. The final straw was when his tail lights went out and they had to replace the entire wiring harness. Joke of a vehicle.

I just sold my old E30 toy car and have been looking for something when I'm not riding the bike or driving the truck. I've checked out probably 100 cars...ya'll can call me an old man but I'll be pimping like Superfly. Picking this up tomorrow...https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/nice-2003-lexus-ls430/6717593504.html

Boman Forklift and Tiller15 like this.
  3. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Thanks for the info. But was his the 3.0 H6 or the 2.5 4 cyl? From everything i'm reading, it's the 2.5 that have all the issues.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I think you're actually getting smarter with age.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. nsouza707

nsouza707 Well-Known Member

I've had the exact opposite experience. My wife has a Forester that has been excellent. Her prior Cadillac, now that was the most overpriced/hyped piece of shit I've ever sat in. Couldn't keep that car on the road for a month without something breaking.

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

How much you're pimping like Superfly will be mostly dependent on what cassette tape you have playing. :Poke:

Racer773 and rd400racer like this.
  7. rd400racer

Yes, he had the 2.5. And he had the head issues. But it was all of the ancillary issues that occurred which soured me on the brand. Did I mention the CV joints had to be replaced too. It was just one thing after another. My old Beemer was 1000% more dependable:D

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

These things are freaking tanks. They simply will not break, unless you're in Street Fighter and your name is E. Honda.

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dead nuts slow. You can time it's quarter mile with a calendar. You probably could push it up to speed faster than it accelerates.
    Timing belt - make sure to change it at the prescribed miles (or early if you want). Not one mile over or it will let go.

You'll be the most popular hippy at the drum circle with it (or lesbian at the lilith fair if you prefer).

BigBird likes this.
  10. rd400racer

My son recently moved to Lancaster, PA for 2 years. I'm probably going to head up there 8-10 times during that period and I figured this Lexus would be the perfect vehicle to cruise the slab in. Plus I need a pimp ride. And yeah, I've got lots of cassettes:D

11. rd400racer

First thing my friends said to my son when he showed up in the Subbie..."funny, we never knew you were a lesbian:D"

britx303 likes this.
  12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's the perfect slab missile to cruise in total comfort. A well advised choice, good sir.

BigBird and rd400racer like this.
  13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I actually think they are decently quick for what they are. Have the same engine in my GX470. It may sound odd, but the one thing I truly hate is that it will never die, which is about the only way I can justify a new vehicle. So I'm living that soccer mom status for a good while longer now.

rd400racer likes this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Think he meant the Subar-Poo. :D

15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Son has an '05 Impreza with the 2.5. Awesome car in the snow, and decent everyday driver. The head issues are related to not changing the antifreeze often enough. It becomes an issue on a flat block engine, as the coolant rests in the passageways between head and block when you turn it off. If they sit too much, or you don't change the coolant every couple of years (when was the last time you changed yours?), it creates a corrosion issue due to the acidity of the coolant.

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I take it all back then.:crackup:

17. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

The H-6 Outback is the way to go, for sure. Have a 2010 Impreza 2.5 and it's been very reliable. I don't think there's too much out of the ordinary to look out for with the 6 cyl version, I still like that body style.

Tiller15 likes this.
  18. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the 3.0 as I had a 2002 model for like 12 years. It was a very reliable car for the most part. The 2nd most reliable vehicle I have ever owned next to my Tacoma.

The fact that it does not have a turbo is a bonus. Kids beat up on the turbo subarus so the used market gets a really bad rap for being unreliable.

Tiller15 likes this.
  19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Good job reading the title and not the post. 3.0 flat 6 has no timing belt.
    He knows about the 2.5L issues and doesn't care, including head gaskets.
    Outbacks are not the lesbo car, thats forresters. Outbacks are for yuppies.

A v6 accord will out accelerate, handle, most likely brake, and be far more reliable then any subaru made. How you can think they are boring but the subbie is not is beyond me.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Not familar with that year range, but did you check out the subaru outback forum? Im sure there is plenty of info there.

I drove a 14 for work for a year. Great in the snow. Comfy and roomy.

Apart from the head issues I havent heard too much bad about most of them.

Tiller15 likes this.