1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

450FX is still a turbo busa IMO. It just has a tighter gearbox and different suspension. I thought woods riding was way more fun on a 2-stroke but I only do MX now and have no practical experience on 450s.
    That said if you’re not woods racing the 450 will last forever if you’re just putting around.

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Have you seen how fast you can go on a 250 4t? It's really damned fast.

300 or 350 4t is also an option. If I had to buy a new 4t it would probably be the Sherco 300 SEF Factory

[​IMG]

skidooboy likes this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I have a CRF250X that has a million hours on it. The only time I said I wish it had more power, was on long, steep hills. Otherwise, you can hurt feelings on a 250. :D

Riding a TX300 now. We're still getting to know each other...

Phl218 likes this.
  4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Dollar for Dollar? I would get the 250FX. However, if there is a good price difference, then the 450 gets the nod, understanding that you will need to buy parts to dumb down the 450, so I would look at the holistic picture and go to the best value. As the last decision point, the 450 with mods will likely have a better resale number as you didn't ride it at the max capacity (compared to wringing out a 250).

But I agree that a 250 will seriously hurt some feelings given the right circumstances. I have a WB165 two stroke (almost a 250 4t equivalent), and I can do most everything but the big power sapping hill climbs. Or to put it more succinctly: I can suck at riding just as bad on a 250 or a 450, but the money can go to mods (and great safety gear) based on my entry price.

5. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

The first time I got on my Beta 300 (coming off a 250X) I thought, "damn, this is immediate. I hope I can figure it out or I'll be in the trees ASAP."

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

I have a 450fx, with the stock map the throttle was like a light switch, off or all the way on. I put in the "mud" map off yamahas website and it was worlds better for me. Throttle was so much smoother and came on softer, but still ton of power if you need/want it. If you cant get a deal on your buddies 450fx then do it.

7. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

LOL, I ended up riding my XCW a gear higher for the first few days. Lord knows those 300's have the torque.

8. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

Fun from Sunday
    EFA3E2E0-1426-43F6-B915-B053D6374C5F.jpeg 9DD3AF24-DA70-4E5A-9E8A-577992F8C9A6.jpeg E16899D0-BEE4-405F-A51D-F339650FB083.jpeg C5AF62A3-0195-45A0-AFAC-23A63FE4E38A.jpeg

Phl218 and masshole like this.
  9. Used2Bfast 2

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that assumes you can keep it from overheating.. 98% of riders, will never utilize a full race 450 in the woods. i suspect 95% will never utilize one to it's potential on an mx track. Im talking modern 450 race four strokes. YZF, CRF, ktm XCF or SXF.. simply zero need for these bikes for trail or woods. too much power. and a 450 will be harder to keep cool on the trails when going gets tough. my 2c with some practical experience :)

11. eggfooyoung

Where are you guys holding up fort for the weekend? We are on Chafian Drive, in Matewan. Supposed to be good and warm this weekend. We're leaving Friday morning, and are going to try to ride Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. Headed home Monday morning..

12. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

We stay at the holiday inn in Logan.
    Probably ride bear wallow Saturday, and Rockhouse Sunday.

13. eggfooyoung

Looks to be about 30 miles by road. Maybe we'll drive over and drink your beer.

burnham likes this.
  14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

raced 450's for a loooong time, thought I NEEDED 450 in the woods to "be happy". found a SCREAMIN DEAL on a ktm xc250f. never dreamed I would be happy on a 250f...

35 hours on her this summer, COULDNT BE HAPPIER. most days I find that if I had a 450f, it would ride me, more than I would ride it. after about 35 miles of single track, I am pretty whooped.

very glad I stumbled onto this deal.

leave the ego, and forget what your buddies are trying to talk you into. if they want to pay for the bike, ride what they want you to. if your buying it, tell them to stfu, and make them think twice about big bikes, when you leave them behind on "the baby bike". Ski

pscook likes this.
  15. I was thinking about when I did the spark plug in my bike last. I realized I don’t think I’ve ever changed it in 2 years of owning it. So I got a couple plugs (1 plus a spare) and went to change it tonight. My thin walled 5/8ths is in the storage unit so I ended up having to pull the valve cover to get the normal spark plug socket in. In the process I found the top two motor mounts loose. Now I’m going to do a valve adjustment because I haven’t checked them in a longgggg time. Maybe tomorrow. I’m going to machine ~.020” off the spark plug socket I have at the house so I don’t have to deal with this on the trail somewhere.

And that’s the story of how doing a spark plug turned into a valve adjustment in my living room. :rolleyes:

TLDR; cool story bro.

SuddenBraking and Phl218 like this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Wanna do mine?

Other than the rekluse and an air filter, i haven‘t done jack on the (woods) 450

Prolly do an oil change in the winter

17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Pffft, forty minutes is all it takes to do a valve adjustment on the ‘ol WR.

18. I need the valve clearances for a 2011 KTM 450sx-f. Anyone have them? @Robby-Bobby maybe?

I would love the FSM for this bike but I can’t find it.

19. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

20. Used2Bfast 2

No. It’s at MotoMtn in NGa. No plate needed. That’s off the map stuff tho. Never find it without a guide.