1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for SV650 advice

Discussion in 'General' started by xTomKx, Oct 2, 2018.

1. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about racing SV650 next season. Too old for racing bigger bikes and there are many SV's to choose from. Any advice as to what I should get? Which generation? Carbs or FI? Suspension, etc?

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I’ve built about 20 throughout my “career” my best one has been based on the 07 dual spark setups. I believe 07-10 are similar.

I have no experience with the latest new gen but I know 05-10 are great platforms.

I’d stay away from carb models. They are great but require tuning to get the power.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

03 is second gen but has some different parts on it from the rest of the second gen.
    04-06 is the same except frame color.
    07-10 should be the same and have the duel spark plugs like robby bobby mentioned some like them some don't.
    find a 04-06 thats set up and go ride really, you'll look for the same things as most trackbikes, suspension work, rearsets, clip ons,etc etc
    Oh and meet Russell Masecar as soon as possible.. haha

TurboBlew and rcarson15 like this.
  4. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

My buddy has an 07 and I have an 06. With the 07 you can run newer ECU flash type stuff like woolich. The 06 all I have is a power commander.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

99-02 are best
    03-06 are 2nd best
    rest have to many spark plugs

TurboBlew, mike574, G Dawg and 4 others like this.
  6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Why do you consider the 99 to 02 the best?

7. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

FCR's :D

cajun636 likes this.
  8. TWF2

Chassis, ergonomics, better looking and simpler.

RRP and rugbymook like this.
  9. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

What does Bradley ride?

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I've heard the G2 frames bend easier than the G1s.

11. TWF2

1st gen

12. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

O ok. I have the second gen as motoamerica diesnt allow the 1st gen. I got with in .4 of a sec of his lap times at big willow. Buttonwillow was a different story he was a full 2 seconds faster there. I wish he would come back and race.

13. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Raced 1st gen and loved them. Can't really go wrong with any year. 1st gens are cheaper. Lots of parts and know how for all. Good luck

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

ashtray?

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

What are they fighting about?

mike-guy, Razr, turbulence and 4 others like this.
  16. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Center of the combustion chamber vs. the side. My money is on the center.

panthercity likes this.
  17. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I see bikes with stock forks and emulators, Gsxr forks, Kawi forks. Which is the best option and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Well played!

panthercity likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Stock with cartridge internals. Arguably perform as well as any swap, and you remain SS legal. If your forks are trashed and you don't mind going SB, GSXR front ends are a dime a dozen.

20. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Stock - Meh
    Stock w/ emulators - Better
    Stock w/ cartridges (GSXR, AK-20, K-Tech...etc) - The best for those that like the feeling of stock forks
    GSXR inverted forks - Some prefer the additional stiffness of the GSXR forks. They also have much better brakes.

Stock architecture vs. GSXR (inverted) is a lot like an oil or tire debate, no clear cut winner.