1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good news for motorcycles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Red Fox Racing, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

This is an article from Racer X magazine,

https://exhaust.racerxonline.com/20...st-growing-core-outdoor-recreation-activities

Can anyone from a dealership verify they are seeing this in the showroom? The economy appears to be cruising along. The one problem I keep running across from business owners is they would like to expand, but kind find skilled labor. It's to the point that companies are advertising "no skill required, we will train you on the job" and they still can't find workers....

Not trying for dungeon material, just looking for feedback from dealers....Thanks.

2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

They need to pay more, then they will find workers. Or invest in automation so they need less workers.

But yes the labor market is finally getting tighter and wages starting to rise. All of these types of positions are harder to fill.

Hopefully not too dungeony.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  3. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

To your "skilled labor" point. Our local Polaris franchise started running an ad in the papers across the South East seeking techs. They have six positions to fill and actually used the word desperately in the ad and are offering $60K/yr. Their sales numbers do bear out the claims of the article, but they are hurting in the shop end of it like every other dealership in the nation.
    As far as the "economy cruising along", there is not nearly an economic diversity of customers. The "haves", as always, are happily spending on these expensive toys.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The "haves" don't count....The "middles" will determine the bulk of the recovery. If it (the recovery) lasts long enough then more "lowers" will progress into the middle where disposable income lives. $60k for a MC mechanic (especially if this is a newbie) is well into the middle range. Now if housing (like million dollar ranch houses) is typical for the local then I take my $60k comment back.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did you fools miss the non dungeon point of the post?

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I'll take "yes" for $500, AlMongo.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I want to see that ad.

Making up to $60K/year and actually making $60K/year are two different things.

Plenty of shops will advertise big numbers, but those numbers are based on optimum amount of work year round. Which they don't have. And when you're being paid flat rate and there is no work...you make $0. While the dealer gets to retain a skilled technician on the payroll for free.

I promise you your local Polaris dealer cannot afford to hire 6 techs making $60,000 a year salary.

This is the same principle as with car dealerships. Hire a bunch of sales guys and then let them weed themselves out.

And as a newbie you'll be lucky to make half of that $60K.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm trying to figure out who is buying all these damn side by sides. Hottest thing on the market so they say.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Every redneck out there with halfway okay credit. I freely admit I'm jealous :D

418 and Steeltoe like this.
  10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

My apologies for not stating that pay would be commensurate to skill set and experience. I would have thought that was a "goes without question" thing, but evidently not. This particular outfit (called Bama Buggies, located in Tuscaloosa, Al) used to own the local Toyota dealership until recently. Money hasn't been an issue in any of their moves thus far in their venture into this particular business genre.

11. condon66

condon66 Member well known

That is ALL you see in rural areas around central PA anymore. People rarely buy 4 wheelers at this point. A local dealers stock is I'd guess around 50 SxS's to 5 4wheelers. Dozens of SxS's outside and a handful of 4wheelers inside.

12. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

They're all over Utah.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It is insane to me how these things have taken off! And many of them are hooked up fancy!

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

This would match nicely with all my 2 wheelers.:D[​IMG]

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Is it because of us who grew up reading about the Baja and wanting a buggy are now able to afford them? (Well, not me but other people.)

panthercity likes this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Probably. That and I can buy a 4 seater and cram the fam in that bitch with a cooler full of beer. The boys and I are already discussing them, and have admitted that they're more than likely our next purchase.

Steeltoe likes this.
  17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Not redneck enough huh?

:D

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Toe's dune buggy Fantasy

[​IMG]

Toe's dune buggy reality....