1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting that new-car shine

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Sep 22, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Wait. The wrap is clear?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yes. Unless you want to do a vinyl wrap to change the color. You can also combine them. The GT4 is silver. It then has a full clear wrap over the paint. The center stripe on it is vinyl and on top of the clear wrap. You could also put it under the clear wrap if you knew 100% you would like it. I was initially going to remove the stripe but have decided to leave it for now.

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I use Xpel Ultimate pre-cut film for the headlights, but no way I'd go through the effort of wrapping an entire vehicle.

I just polish my vehicles once a year (roof/hood maybe twice) and keep up with a proper hand-washing and some quick-detailer spray. Finish stays glassy and swirl free and when the paint is in that good of condition applying/removing product is so much easier.
    [​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Shit. Ima have to do that.

5. Venom51

The full cover won't be cheap but on something like the Jag with your personality might be worth it. Certainly a full frontal. If I am honest the paint on the front of the truck after 65k of driving, most of that dragging the trailer down highway, isn't beat up any worse that the paint on the IS. The GT was already fully covered so I didn't have to eat that expense. Would I do it if I was buying it new....yeah probably. Unlike Nemesis above the only place they didn't put it was on the headlights and they have a little patina on them from his track days in it. I call that a serious oversight on his part.

6. F U :)

7. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

It's PPF - paint protection film or some call it "clear bra", completely different than vinyl wrap.

8. precipitous

From what I know here about Broome's personality, he's gonna have to go full coverage. :D

Really surprised those headlights weren't done!

9. Venom51

If someone had looked at the pricing of replacements I bet he would have had them covered. :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Walk to Ballground? Hell, I can't/won't even walk to downtown Canton from here :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wraps are cool but still nothing remotely like a good polish/wax job. Even on top of a good job they make it a little more dull looking.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  12. Venom51

Probably affects some colors more than others. On a silver or white car I don't think you'd notice the difference. Although...

This has a full wrap on it...
    [​IMG]

There is YouTube footage of the paint and film process on that car and he does an A/B comparison on a panel that has just been polished versus the panel with film on it. Maybe easier to pick up in person though as the camera could hide some things. Colored vinyl wraps I will give you are certainly not as good as the same thing in paint.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, clear would be a lot better than colored for sure. I do think they're cool, wish I could afford to get the RV wrapped.

14. precipitous

Yeah and I mean, it's basically no additional cost to do them with the rest of the car.
    I've had the thick af XPEL headlight protection film on two different vehicles for like 8 years and they still look new. I did replace the fog lights film with Lamin-X because I wanted to change them up to yellow. I've also done a couple motorcycle headlights with Lamin-X and it's a good in-between from the thinner thickness paint protection film and the very thick XPEL headlight film, plus the Lamin-X has a some color options.

15. precipitous

Funny, I passed an F-Pace on the highway today, regular old one though not the Broomedition. :crackup:

Looks like XPEL has full kits/patterns available for the current F-Pace line so should have SVR full coverage once they start arriving. :clap:

16. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I had XPEL put on the Vette. He spent one complete day on it. I went to pick it up and me and my wife both look at each other like "huh?" The installer said what's wrong? There were what I'd describe as spots that were on some of the corners and bends. He said he didn't see anything. I took my glasses off and they disappeared. Handed the glasses to him and he goes "whoa!" We both had polarized glasses on and he didn't. Crazy. Almost like when you see those circles on the factory tint if you have polarized shades on. He said it was moisture and it would dry out. It never did. After months of researching I finally figured out that they were caused by stretching the material.
    It's good stuff and a good investment. I used to put 3-4 coats of Rejex on it and drive 12 hours or so on the highway and get out and look at the front of the car and there wouldn't be a speck of anything on it. Sh*t flies right off it.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I just looked, found a local Xpel dealer, an entire vehicle wrap ranges from $4999-6499.....:eek:

They also do the ceramics coating and also 'color correction'. For the paint correction, they offer 3 levels, the first roughly $500, second $750 and third at a cool grand. For those seeking to apply the ceramic coating ($1200) they require at the very least a level one paint correction, ultimately depends n the condition of your car.

All these options look pretty dang good but nothings cheap anymore. lol

18. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

The Xpel stuff is nice. I think Glasslife does that too if you want something other than the Ceramic. The Backdraft has the 3M stuff over just the rear wheel wells and there were comments of "that's nice, but we have better stuff".

-steve

19. precipitous

That got me too, first time I saw it with my sunglasses on! :cool:

20. So which is better, Xpel wrap or ceramic coating?

Which one looks better once finished?