1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting that new-car shine

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Sep 22, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'm dizzy by all the lights.. Nice car!!

Sent from my smatrfone

2. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Now we just wait on APR to work their magic.

-steve

3. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Plasti-Dip and vinyl wrap don't offer protection like paint protection film. Ppf is 6-7 mils, wrap vinyl about half that.

If you do ppf, be sure to ask installer about wrapped edges wherever possible so you won't have visible edge lines.

4. precipitous

A high quality ppf (XPEL Ultimate) and installer with full coverage and wrapped edges you wouldn't even know it was there.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, but we’re talking like $5k+. And how often does it need to be reapplied?

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

A friend of mine overpaid (IMO) full ppf at $2K...not sure where you are getting $5K. Lasts 7-10 years.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I got quoted like $2k to do a basic wrap on my old van. I know a sports car would be less volume but much more intricate and better applied. Figured it would cost more. But that was about 7 years ago, so maybe competition has driven the price down?

8. precipitous

XPEL Ultimate Plus which is their latest film has a 10 year warranty. I've had their older standard film and Ultimate on vehicles for 7-8 years. I think the old standard film had a 7 year warranty.

"XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS also comes with a full 10-year warranty against yellowing, discoloration, peeling, cracking and hazing. If it fails, we’ll replace it—labor included"

That's why you want to go to a certified installer from their website, preferably one that cuts patterns on a plotter and not with a razor knife on your car.

BigBird likes this.
  9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

one of my good buddies did wraps for a living. i've only seen him charge $5-6k for a Ferrari and a 911... partly because of all the complex curves, partly because of how much of it you have to take apart to do it right, partly because its an expensive ass car. he was doing this one 458 after work hours in the evenings and it essentially took like 5 evenings of 4-5 hours a piece if i remember correctly. taking door handles off and trim off and being ultra careful not to break anything etc. a normal car wrap job was $2-3k all day.

also... that RS5 is bad as fuck. that's one of my favorite colors of all time. thinking about it on my motorbike project for part of the scheme. love that cloud/nimbus grey or whatever they're calling it now.

10. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Thanks. It's Nardo Grey. For Audi it's supposedly an R model only color. Porsche has something similar. Assuming Ducati stays part of VAG I wouldn't be surprised to see it on a special V4 Panigale special at some point.

-steve

BigBird likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow. Almost wish I had a car worth sending to them :D

12. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

The only way to keep it looking new is bank the money and buy a poster. Seriously, time and the sun kill it all eventually...simply wax and keep it garaged.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Are you sending off to have them do it or is there someone local who does that? My little A4 supposedly has a good bit of untapped potential
    They're in Ball Ground....

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sending/taking, whatever :D

But yeah, I knew they were local.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

You could just walk on over. The savings make the service practically pay for itself!

16. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I'll worry about that once they actually get something.

-steve

17. For serious?

Does the car still shine and look like new afterwards? I would think shrink wrap would make it look dull.

I’m following this thread because I might do something like this to the SVR. But because it will be black, it will easily show if there is any dulling.

18. You’re

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

the wrap itself is shiny, so it's shiny. you can also go with a matte wrap. they'll be no real hardcore waxing or buffing needed ever after this is applied.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The Xpel films are really good quality. They are as shiny as whatever you put underneath them. I don't think you could even tell it's there in pictures if I hadn't mentioned it. The IS-F has a frontal only on it that has been on it for 7 years. Can you see it in the photo I posted earlier?

The GT4 in that same photo is completely covered. Can you tell? No else has even picked up on it in person unless I point it out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    BigBird and Gorilla George like this.